Front Wipers - usual issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Front Wipers - usual issue

Hi Guys - I know there are a few threads on this but couldnt seem to find a definitive answer

My front wipers have the normal issue - they work on manual sweep if you hold the stalk, but dont park properly and they work on max speed but nothing in between.

I've removed the linkage/motor assembly today, took the over off and as expected there was a fair bit of very dirty grease in there - cleaned it all off til it was spotless, put a bit of clean grease on what I could see of the worm gear, cleaned the 3 contact tabs and bent them slightly to ensure a solid connection and then put it all back together - still not working

So I'm no further forward - as it wont "park" properly do I assume from this its just knackered and replace the motor assembly ? or is there a way to test the connections ?

I can see a large plug going into the far left side of the assembly and then a smaller plug with 3 wires that seems to feed the motor - is it possible to check the voltage at these 3 wires ? Assuming that there is a full 12v for maximum speed and a lower voltage for low speed and then an intermittent signal for the intermittent sweep ?
Why wont they park correctly ?

Last edited by capri_rob; 02-09-13 at 18:07.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

alfa 156 jtd

I had this issue on my old Peugeot 306 but only when it rained. Dealers were insisting it was a knackered motor and waned 80 despite it only happening when it rained (not from when the washer bottle was used)

Anyway it turned out to be a slightly corroded contact in the plug on the scuttle panel, used a small screw driver/file to clean all the contacts. Small squirt of wd40 and cloth to clean inside, i never had another problem wth it again. With regards to the speed and not working in certain settings, this was also and issue.

Look at the plugs again for any white coating on the connectors or just clean them regardless.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 03-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
I will give it a go - I've ordered a used one off ebay for 15 which allegedly was tested and working so hopefully will get a solution one way or the other

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

front , issue , usual , wipers