Overheating clutch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-01-06 Thread Starter
Warning Overheating clutch

While on a trip away, a flashing warning symbol (and accompanying alarm) came up on the tacho. It didn't tell me much so I checked the manual (P142) which indicated that my clutch had overheated. I have booked it into the dealer, however I was wondering whether anybody else has had this problem as I am interested in finding out how serious is it. I own a 156 JTS Selespeed.
Sponsored Links
Re: Overheating clutch

How old is it? The clutch on seles shouldn't slip until it needs replacing unless it has been contaminated by some lubricant, or the selespeed system is stuffed/not correctly calibrated. If new (Must be with JTS engine) take to a dealer and shout loudly at them!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 10-02-06 Thread Starter

Turns out it was a failed brake switch was causing the warning light to come up.
AO Platinum Member

yes there is no temperature sensor in the gearbox or clutch, so it uses inputs from all the other sensors on the car (shaft speed sensors, brake, road speed, etc) to work out what conditions could cause a problem.
If you drive along with your foot on the brake pedal for long enough, it will bring up a Selespeed warning. Your failed brake switch probably had the same effect.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , overheating