how to reprogram a alfa 156 key phob - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Moaning how to reprogram a alfa 156 key phob

Hi can anyone help me.

I have a 98 156. My key phob has been smashed up but the blade is still ok, i have a couple of options and need to know what is possible.

i like the new style alfa flip key, can i buy one and relace the blade for mine. then would it be possible to make the remote of this key work with my central locking/immobiliser, if so how?

If i cant do this can i buy the same red type key second hand and replace the blade, if so how?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: how to reprogram a alfa 156 key phob

I'm not sure if the black key will work in place of a red key. I'd stick with the red one; you will need to get the ECU to recognise the new key code - this needs to be done using Examiner (dealer will do it at a hefty price).
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

u can replace the red key with the black key but u will also need to replace the body computer, lock barrels, etc. not an easy project. so stick with the red key.

what do u mean ur key fob is "smashed up"? if its damaged beyond repair, u can go to a dealer and get them to order a brand new key for u from alfa romeo. u will need ur chassis number.

if the circuit board inside the key is damaged, u can get a replacement circuit board from mangoletsi for about 3-4 quid. then u need to get the new circuit board reprogrammed.

if the key fob plastic is damaged and only the removable side, u can replace this from a used key.

if u can somehow get a used key and replace the metal insert from ur old key into the used key, u will still need to get the used key's immobiliser transponder and alarm circuit board programmed for ur car. u need the examiner tool, ur alarm code card and ur mechanical code card to do this. so the only place u can do it is at the dealers. also bring along any other spare keys u have at the same time. they will all need to be reprogrammed for ur car.

good luck!

Electricity comes from electrons; morality comes from morons.

I had to buy a spare key from Alfa when I bought my car (used), to buy the key and have it programmed came to about 150. Ouch!!!
And it took about 2 weeks. They needed the chassis number to order the key, then the car for an hour to programme it.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 29-01-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

thanks for the info guys.

i dont want to spend a fortune with the main dealer, so i guess if it is not possible to programme the black key to my car myself I think i will get a second hand red key. now i need to know how to swap the key blade.
the pcb in my old phob still works so i should be ale to swap these over but the key blade seems to be attached into the moulded plastic, this may be a little tricky to swap, that is why i need to know if the blade would be possible to fit to the new style flip key as i guess it would be an easier task

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , key , phob , reprogram