Temperature going up, up and away! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex
Temperature going up, up and away!

Hello helpful Alfa people,

I wonder if anyone can advise the best way to test why my radiator fan isn't working. Temperature just climbs when stuck in traffic - quite exciting until one finds oneself on the hard shoulder - not where I choose to be on a sunny Friday afternoon...

Ignition switched on, fan relays wiggles and tapped and thermostat sensor plug removed - I believe the fan should come on when you take the thermo sensor plug out but nothing happened. So I guess I have an issue with a relay or with the fan motor itself - how do I check?

Thanks again, Mike
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

Have you checked the fan fuses ? My Spider had this problem and it was the fan sensor/resistors top and bottom of the rad.
I've had some fun with this lately too!

My car has twin fans. Only one was coming on. In my case, unplugging and re plugging the cables to the resistors sorted it.

The fans are controlled by relay switched earths. The fans have constant positive power connection. The relays are activated by the ECU based on the temperature signal from the thermostat temperature sensor.

Disconnecting the thermostat temperature sensor should trigger full speed on both fans.

The fans have two speeds. Each controlled by its own relay. The first speed is controlled by the two resistors as a fail safe, each resistor controls one fan.

If you have access to fiat ECU scan or multi ECU scan you can test the activation of the fans that way. Otherwise a multimeter may help.

I'd say that if the fans aren't coming on at all, yet the temp gauge in the car is working, the wiring to the fans, or the fuses are the most likely issue.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
The resistor thing in rad often goes killing low speed
AO Member
County: -
I had some issues with the fan on the 33. I used some cooper wires to connect it directly to the battery to see if the fan was OK. In the end it was just a faulty connection. But to have a multimeter is a good idea. you can see if you get current when you get the sensor plug out.

Be careful when dealing with fans. It is good to have fans, but they can also hurt you
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 09-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex
thanks for all the input, chaps. Turns out it was that little variable resistor thingy in the rad PLUS bad connections on one of the relays. MDZ Italtec sorted it out and not a bad cuppa. So, until the next hard shoulder moment, thanks again...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fan , motor , overheat , radiator , relays , temperature