[156 2.4 20V] Battery/alternator light only after startup - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 26-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bern
[156 2.4 20V] Battery/alternator light only after startup

Hello everyone

Since a few weeks I get an occasional battery light directly after starting the engine of my 156 SW 2.4 20V JTD (12.2004). Mostly when I give the engine a quick rev to approximately 2000 RPM the light will go out immediately (and will not return during driving). However sometimes (e.g. this morning) the light will stay on after giving it a few good revs, but will go out by itself after maybe 30 seconds or so. Again, this only happens directly after starting the engine. Once this “startup phase” is through, the light will never return during the drive (not even when idling again).

So I just measured the battery during different conditions:
With car off (since 5 hours):____12.5V
5 seconds after startup:________13.2V-13.5V
After 10s of idling:____________13.8V-14.0V (stable)
Once the voltage stabilizes at 13.8V-14.0V it will stay there throughout the rev range (tested with car stationary). Also the alternator seems to be able to stabilize after load changes (lights, AC, seat heater, etc.) within a few seconds. However the voltage will never exceed 14.0V.

What do you guys think? I was actually expecting to measure 14.4V at the battery terminals with the engine running, especially when I switch all extras off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20v , battery or alternator , light , startup