Hi Guys - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-01-06 Thread Starter
Help Hi Guys

I'm just about to buy a 147 Selespeed, and i'm a little concerned about negative reviews ive come across. So i thought id ask the experts. any comments
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Hi Guys

The Selespeed control unit has been known to fail. It's rather an expensive item so it's more than just inconvenient.

But you have to bear in mind that forums inevitably concentrate on problems. For each dodgy control unit, there may be as many as 1 other working correctly .

I'm sure you'll be okay.. they'll have improved the unit over the original spec' by now and you'll be covered by warranty so no worries about it costing anything if it does give you trouble.

Ralf S.
AO Member

Had my 2001 147 selespeed since new and after 60K kms have had absolutely no problems. they can feel a little jerky on part throttle upshifts at first but you soon learn to modulate the accelerator to avoid that. Down shifts are awesome especially if you are in the real twisty bits and full throttle upshifts above 5000rpm become quicker (though don't wait for it to hit the redline - it reverts to the standard shift time). The only real hassle is when you are approaching an intersection and you need to get away quickly you can get caught between changes at the wrong time - this can be avoided if you select the appropriate gear before you get to the intersection.
AO Member

Member car:

156 Selespeed

I have a 156 Selespeed and although I have only had it a month it is great. I was worried about the Selespeed, but having spoken to garages and to other owners it doesn't seem to be any worse than other makes. We had the cambelt and associated bits changed as a precaution at 36K miles. I know somebody with a 3 year old Fiesta and it's on it's third clutch in 35K miles at 550.00 a time and she does not ride the clutch.

My car is still under warranty until August this year, but I will then buy a warranty from www.warrantyworks.co.uk to avoid any large expense in the future. They do a full 3 year warranty for 550.00, which seems good.

I did 350 miles yesterday and I also got 35mpg and it wasn't at all tiring to drive.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT