Very productive day today - sorted a lot of issues but still got a lot to do.
Started by putting the wiring to the fan relays back to how it should be - proper job by re-soldering and heatshrink.
I have no idea why the wiring had been bodged in the first place - put back to standard and it does what its supposed to.
Then changed the thermostat - had to replace some of the hose clips - those clip ones are CRAP - fitted some proper jubilee clips I had lying around.
I now have a proper cooling system that works as Alfa intended
- well amost - still need a new resistor for the low speed fan
Then I spent probably over an hour trying to extract the lower part of the airbox
sweet jesus what a faff !
Eventually managed to get it out by removing the radiator fan after a lot of harsh language and deciding that the guy who designed it must have been a blind spastic that had been subcontracted from Citroen
When I was putting it back together I removed the MAF and blasted the wires with electrical contact cleaner
Had to drill the airbox and attach the lid with cableties - but at least its sealed now and with a new filter installed.
After a mid afternoon break having started at 9am I then moved on to the interior -replaced the bulb in the fuel gauge so it now illuminates and swapped the stereo for my Bluetooth one - finally I cleaned the contacts on the rear lights which has put the dash warning lamp off now.
Very happy and very tired
Oil and filter change tomorrow and then an extensive clean and polish.