Thinking of buying a 156 next - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Thinking of buying a 156 next

Hi all, a while ago i decided that with having 2 kids, that i would buy a 4 door car, but the compromise with myself was that it had to have a turbo, so the shortlist was either an Impreza or a Seat Leon.

However, i want another Alfa, and so im liking the idea of a 156 estate lowered on 17" teledials (im also hoping it can pull a car trailer)

however im a little confused about the options, im thinking either a 2.5 v6 or 2.0 TS? But ive just read that the JTS is worth staying away from, what is a JTS, is it an eco version?

In addition, i dont it to be any older than an 02 plate, what are my options and how much am i looking at spending?

Many thanks

If It Comes Off, Modify It!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

I can say now I have had all 3. I started with a 156 2.0TS Veloce, then a 2.0JTS and now a 2.5V6.

I would say the JTS is the best off the 2.0. 165bhp and a better pull throughout the rev range. The Twin Spark you have to rev quite high to get the most out of it.

The V6 is in a different league, pulls like a train. 6 speed but thirsty and expensive to service and tax.
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
I have a JTS, its a great engine but you need to look after it. The biggest weakspot is the injectors so its important that you regularly use injector cleaner (every three tanks is the usual). Also make sure you use 10w60 oil and keep to the recommended belt changes.
It's also worth cleaning all the electrical connectors as part of your yearly maintenance, saves loads of problems down the road.
Not the most economical engine in the world but puts a huge grin on your face above 3k rpm...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buying , thinking