DIY car mechanic mishaps. - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
After fitting an alarm to my car I pressed the remote hoping to demonstrate to the gathered masses (a couple of mates) how the doors would magically unlock and allow me access to the car without the use of keys, which was a big thing in those days. Unfortunately I had wired it up wrong and the wire that should have energised the near side indicators was transposed with the one for the starter immobiliser, the car promptly ran over my foot and disappeared through the closed garage door in a series of jolts (accompanied by the off side indicator flashing). Not my finest hour.
m-a-r-k-o and rxe like this.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Berkshire
nice thread

I did forget to place oil filler cap once. Found it sitting peacefully on the engine about 300 miles later.

Was replacing front brake pads on my Toyota ad had to push pistons back to the calipers to fit new (and hence thicker) brake pads. Was doing it alone, so plenty of bruises after pushing them back with piece of wood pressed against my chest. Learnt later that it is pretty helpful to open brake fluid reservoir...
scrgdk likes this.

Last edited by ARnovice; 1 Week Ago at 08:02.
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

I was changing from an internal to external fuel pump on my old mini, covered the manifold in rags to soak up any fuel which would come out, did all the work, finished and set off home, mate following me is doing waving frantically behind me so i pull over, flames pouring out of the car by this point, bonnet off, "oh bother" i say as I've left the fuel covered rags on the manifold and up they went, mate dashes to nearest house for help whilst i stand their asthmatic lungs and all and blow it out (well the fuel evaporated i assume). Sat down on the pavement, nearly passed out, mate then tells me off as he'd only painted the car the day before oooops!
AO Member
County: -

When I was putting the spare tyre on my first car (I had a slow puncture), after lowering the car to the ground to tighten the wheel nuts, I was distracted by the phone ringing. Later on I went out in the car, forgetting that the scissor jack was still attached.

The resulting klunk and scraping noise made this a lesson not to forget. The next owner of the car was probably confused how the 2 inch long dent got into the sill.

[color=gray]Sent from App[/color]
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
My most stupid one, changing rad on. Punto GT. Open bonnet undo top hoses, then jack car up (leaving bonnet up) and undo bottom hose. Change radiator, drop car down on jack feeling satisfied with the job, attempt to close bonnet and notice a nice bulge. The bonnet had made contact with a joist in the garage roof and as I jacked the car up it just crumpled. Bugger.

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]
(Post Link) post #56 of 60 Old 2 Weeks Ago
County: United Kingdom
About 19 years ago, my first car was a D reg Metro. Working under the bonnet I placed a spanner down, on the battery.... across the two terminals.... That's one thing I'll never do again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scrgdk likes this.
(Post Link) post #57 of 60 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
After a successful headgasket replacement and top end rebuild on an e36 ,key on and couldn't work out why the idle was hunting from 800-2000 rpm and back again.

Scratched head.

Checked timing ,induction hoses ,connections to sensors.

No joy.

Went in for a cup of coffee and then a pee.

On top of the toilet cistern was the inlet manifold gasket..:-)

Replaced and all good after half a day wasted trying to trace the problem.

Now I always check the simple stuff in triplicate.
scrgdk likes this.
(Post Link) post #58 of 60 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 16v

Not a diy failure but whilst working in a garage a colleague was changing a spring on a renault laguna, the strut and spring were in a spring clamp fully compressed. The top mount was put back on and the nut was on by a thread.

My mate asked me to look to see if it all looked straight, as I bent down to look at it the clamps let go!!! Queue a top mount to the face at high speed and one broken nose!!

Safe to say at the time it didn't hurt (thank god for adrenaline) but when it was reset.......
(Post Link) post #59 of 60 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member
County: Gwynedd
Changing the oil on a windy day on my Rover 216 (hard times) and it kept blowing everywhere. Got a large glass funnel from the kitchen. "Tap" and a large piece of glass fell into the filler cap. Whoops!
(Post Link) post #60 of 60 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
Very early in my spannering career I managed to bend all the valves in a 2 litre twin cam Nord engine by paying insufficient attention to the timing procedures. That was both annoying and expensive.

A few months ago, I was replacing the rear cross member on the Defender, and was confidently slicing away with the plasma cutter. Suddenly smoke started pouring from every hole in the chassis, and it all smelt of burning plastic. Ah, the wiring loom. That was easily fixed by giving Autosparks 100.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , diy , mechanic , mishaps