156 Sportwagon Bose sound system - subwoofer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 31-12-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 Sportwagon Bose sound system - subwoofer

I am a new owner of a 2003 156 sportwagon. Love the look, too much body roll, really bad rear vision, noisy on the road and low ventillation air flow - otherwise I love it. I also own a 33.

I have a question about the subwoofer. I hate it. I have been able to reduce the boomy sound, whilst retaining the base (I think) by stuffing a rag into the base port. Could this cause a problem? Can the sub be turned off effectively (without dropping the BASE at the head unit)?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 Sportwagon Bose sound system - subwoofer

Originally Posted by duncan_156
Can the sub be turned off effectively (without dropping the BASE at the head unit)?
I'm surprised the subwoofer gain isn't controllable through the headunit - check the stereo manual first just in case there is a way of lowering the bass level.

The rag shouldn't be too much of a problem as you're effectively turning the subwoofer enclosure from ported to semi sealed. Good short term fix but don't keep this as a long term fix or run the unit at high volume for too long.

The headunits usually have a 'remote on' which turns on other parts of the stereo system when the headunit is switch on. If you can find this wire and then put a simple switch in it, you'll be able to turn the sub on/off at your convenience.

Only problem is that the remote-on is sometimes connected to other components like the aerial booster so you don't want to turn this off. have a look at the factory subwoofer and see if you can find the remote-on wire going into it (use a multimeter and look for the wire that shows 12v only when the head unit is swicthed on. Don't know the factory subwoofer myself but there is likely to be a fuse for the amplifier that drives it. Remving the fuse should do the trick.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bose , sound , sportwagon , subwoofer , system