Aux. drive belt fitment 147 JTD 8 Valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London / Cote d'Azur
Aux. drive belt fitment 147 JTD 8 Valve

I've just fitted a cambelt kit with water pump and I am having a problem fitting the new aux. drive belt. Its a genuine 'Alfa' belt and I checked the size by matching it up with the old one.
Is there a technique ?

I had fitted the belt around the A/C compressor pulley over the top to the back of the eng. around the Power steering pump pulley and down around the Alternator pulley, then the back of the belt goes over the tensioner pulley continuing down to the Crankshaft pulley then going up with the back of the belt to the Idler pulley ! With the Tensioner pulley fully tensioned back I still cannot ease the back of the belt over the Idler pulley !
I also tried it the other way of trying to ease the back of the belt over the fully tensioned back tensioner pulley.

Its so close, it would not be possible to do it any other way as all the main components pulleys are tracked with raised edges to guide the belt.

The Idler is a fix one! I notice that for the 5 cylinder 10 Valve diesel engine they do an adjustable Idler with a concentric hub ! that would make life a lot easier.

Does the Alternator or Power steering pump mounting cradles have any adjustment ?

I would appreciate any experiences. Ian.

PS Its a shame the 'Boxer' style engine was discontinued as they were so easy to work on! Previous 146 owner.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , aux , belt , drive , fitment , jtd , valve