Poor rear tyre wear / alignment. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-08-13 Thread Starter
County: Devon
Poor rear tyre wear / alignment.

Hello to all,
Firstly, great site!
I apologise to all as I have been using this site for info for years now but as yet haven't felt able to contribute anything that hasn't already been covered within the forums.
However, I have had a recent issue with the rear tyre wear on my GT and feel that the issue may be causing problems for others, (sorry if it is repeating another thread).
In the four years I have had the car it has had regular changes of upper and lower front arms and rear transverse arms. Following the recent rear tyre wear, I decided to fit powerflex bushes to the rear arms and hub. The alignment had been checked regularly, four wheel, but the back was never out, (according to the tyre supplier). The tyre wear was all on the inside edges, indicating an incorrect toe setting.
With the rear arms off I tried adjusting the cam-bolt and found that it would barely turn. As I was waiting for two new long bolts to arrive, I took the opportunity to remove the rear subframe and investigate. Once off, The problem was obvious. Where the bolts go through the subframe, they are in open channels. These channels over time had filled completely with grit and dirt, which was restricting movement on the toe adjustment bolts. Once emptied, and subframe refitted, the adjustment is smooth and easy. I also cut four foam inserts from 50mm foam to blank the channels off and stop the problem reoccuring.
Needless to say, I will not be returning to the previous garage for alignment, and now require a printout / proof of the pre / post adjustment. It is a shame that the mechanic couldn't just say about the obvious lack of adjustment as I could have sorted the problem before knackering two tyres.
Hopefully this is helpfull to someone!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Thumbs Up

Thanks for that. My rear is in bits, though I'm not changing the transverse arms. Failed MOT on top strut bearings and advisory on longitudinal arms. TBH I'm not confident.

I will finish, get some cheap tyres and an alignment and see how it goes. Assuming it passes it's MOT that is.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

adjust , alignment , poor , rear , tyre , unable , wear