Light Bulb Warning light - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 34 Old 22-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Re: Light Bulb Warning light

Originally Posted by dan156
I just bought my 156 and have the same problem. When the lights are off the warning light is on, when the lights are on the warning light is on!!!

Any ideas?

this may help?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Originally Posted by dan156
I just bought my 156 and have the same problem. When the lights are off the warning light is on, when the lights are on the warning light is on!!!

Any ideas?
It's the rev counter. A faulty diode is registering power and putting on the off side rear tail light. See this post...
AO Silver Member
County: Brasov

I've also got a problem regarding the warning light on the dash.
It happens since I replaced the back lights with lexus style ones:every time I push the brake pedal the warning light comes on,but the bulbs are ok.Not sure about this,but I also think that the second filament in the bulb doesn't lit when I brake,the intensity of the light remains the same,thank God for the 3rd brake light!
Any advice?If not,when technical inspection time comes around,I'll have to put back the original lights.
AO Member
Thumbs Up Re: Light Bulb Warning light

Chears, thought it may well be the rev counter

...diode...repairable...if i can be bothered...
AO Member

A couple of ideas if your warning light comes on....

If it's on without any external lights being turned on then it's possibly the rev counter that's at fault or else you've got a wiring problem.

If the warning comes on whenever you turn on your lights then is it when you turn on the side lights or the main lights. If it comes on straight away (side lights) then check the rear number plate (both bulbs should be on) or check the 'parking' bulbs at the front (the small ones in the centre of your headlights). If the warning only comes on when you switch on the headlights then check these. If the warning only comes on when you brake then ... ok check the brake lights.

You can get an intermittant warning and that may be caused by corrosion in the connectors (removing and reconnecting the connector should solve this) or it may be a loose side of the filament has come away from the posts inside the bulb. I even had a new bulb that was like this.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire

Doesn't it tell you which light it is in a 156 then?

*smug grin*
AO Member
County: Scottish Borders

Nope, but as Wrinx will know the 155 did

Brake lights if the rear lights warning came on when brake pressed otherwise tail. Numberplate lights, any other light was covered by the final light, assuming you would be able to find it (head, full, side indicator).

isn't progress wonderful . No Oil pressure & temp guages either
County: Somerset

Have just whistled through all of the threads on this one, got a similar problem. Bulb warning light flickering but turn the lights on and it goes out. Also when the light is flickering, if i jab the brakes, it also goes away! not easy driving with the brakes on though just to stop an annoying little bulb from flashing. Have checked number plate, side lights,brake lights,reversing lights, fog lights front and back, headlight main and dipped but nothing found. Will be going for the earthing strap next as suggested in the thread.

With the ign off, take out the rear clusters and see if there is a feint glow on one of your lamps, usually side/brake light,
if one is glowing, your rev counter is knackered, they can be repaired or replaced (second hand ones are available), they take about 5 mins to change.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bulb , light , warning