clutch on 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-08-13 Thread Starter
County: Essex

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

clutch on 147

Hi there,

I would be very grateful if anyone could help shed some light. I get an Occasional noise when I release the clutch on my 147 when pulling away in 1st or 2nd gear. It's normally just as the car bites and happens randomly and infrequently. I am just a little concerned when it does happen that the clutch maybe about to give up. Has anyone experienced anything similar or able to give me an insight to what it could be please?

Also when I first drive my car at the beginning of the day I have noticed that the suspension
on the passenger side squeaks when I go over speed bumps or general bumps in the road.
However after approximately 5 minutes of driving the noise ceases. I did get it looked at but the garage found nothing. It is still doing it & I was told if I want it sorted it maybe best to leave it with the garage overnight so they can drive it first thing and see if they can see what is causing it. Again I wondered if anyone had had a similar experience or heard of this before?

Many thanks in advance:
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset
Can you describe the sound as alfa makes all sorts of noises and squeaks lol. Joking aside if the noise happen when the clutch pedal is up it could be the input shaft bearing as I had this problem fix 1 month ago. But I first notice the noise very faintly about 6 months and got louder is time went by. If that is the case then it means the bell housing,remove the clutch and the remove dismantle the gearbox. Now if you dont sort this out you could have some loose bearing which could do serious damage to the gears. Either way it will not be a cheap job to due the the amount hours on the labour. Lucily for me although the bearing was loose on my car it did not damage the gears.

If the noise happens when you press down the clutch then its the release bearing. Again housing is off so its a clutch change.

If its the input shaft bearing its best to do the clutch at the same time as its already dismantled.

Present *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW Qtronic *Alfa GT 3.2 V6

Past *Alfa 159 2.4Ti SW *Alfa 159 1.9Ti SW *Alfa 147 JTD 16V *Alfa 147 2.0L 5 Door Lusso Vinyl Wrap Gloss White Zender 147 *Alfa 147 1.6L 3 Door Turismo
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS

I had a similar issue, on depressing the clutch it made a squelch noise. The slave cylinder blew about a fortnight later.

Worth bleeding the clutch, as it can be a bit temperamental
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
if its a diesel it could be dual mass fly wheel,thats a rattle, you need to describe it better, the other squeak is a top wishbone........very very common problem

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , clutch