Help - 1.6 or 1.8 undertray (2002 or later) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help Help - 1.6 or 1.8 undertray (2002 or later)

Help please - If you have a 2002 or later 156 1.6TS, 1.8TS or 2.0JTS, please could you go out and have a look at your engine undertray for me?

I need to know whether it has a cutout in the middle, around the exhaust pipe, with a metal heat shield on the top side around the hole (you can see this looking down the front of the engine between the radiator and engine...) or whether the undertray is a solid sheet of plastic all the way to the back edge.

I have a 2002 JTS. My old undertray did have a cutout around the exhaust downpipe and a metal heat shield, but I ripped it off in an accident and the repair shop have fitted a replacement that doesn't have the exhaust cutout.

Needless to say, the exhaust pipe is melting the undertray nicely and causing a horrid burning plastic smell.

Problem is that Alfa Romeo are adamant that there's only one model of undertray for all four-cylinder petrol engines and they have sent the right one to the repair shop!

I think they've sent an undertray for an older 156 TS model. It looks exactly like the one from my old 1999 1.8TS, which is a different part number.

Alfa quote the same part number for all 2002 and later TS & JTS undertrays, so as long as all of you with such cars have a hole for the extra exhaust cat on later cars in your tray, then I know where the problem lyes, but if anyone with a later car also has a "solid" undertray, then I'm totally confused.....

2004 Silver Audi A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG (eBay!)

OEM Xenons (retro-fitted), PIAA silicone wipers, integrated Parrott CK3000 bluetooth phone kit, O2 XDA2 PDA/phone with TomTom wired GPS

Ex - 1999 156 1.8TS SP1 (1999-2003) + 2002 156 2.0JTS Turismo (2004-2006) (fell off Snake Pass backwards at 60mph...)
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Help - 1.6 or 1.8 undertray (2002 or later)

There are different undertrays for the different evolutions of petrol engines:
Euro2 TS version (p/n 60622315) has no hole
Euro3 TS + JTS version (p/n 60669268) does have a hole with a metal plate over it.

The change from Euro2 to Euro3 was Sept 2000.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks David - You've confirmed my suspicions that my local Alfa dealer doesn't know his a**e from his elbow!

That's exactly what I deduced from the eper parts CD, but just wanted someone to confirm that I wasn't going loopy.....

I've already quoted both part numbers to the insurance-preferred body shop that fixed the car and they're going to have another go at Alfa tomorrow.

Putting my chassis number into eper gives the correct part number, so how they've cocked it up I don't know...

(But man from body shop says that he's known Alfa to put the wrong part in a wrongly labelled bag! - Worryingly quality assurance, but then its no surprise...)
Peter K

Why would you want one of those horrid plastic guards, when you can get a nice Alu Guard at the same cost
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Because its not my money, its the insurance companies - and if I'd had an aluminium guard and ripped that off by running off the road backwards at 60, it would have caused much more damage than just smashing the old plastic one did!
AO Member

But if it's insurance's money why do you care what more damages it could have done?

I can't see why, though...

I certainly enjoy my alu undertray, it stays off the bumps and is nearly undestructible!!!

I know... When I got it from the mail morons, it came as flat as a sheet of paper... Had to have it folded back into original shape!!!

It coped with that, and 'till now 100% OK!!!

Oh!... and it costs almost the same of the plastic no-good thing...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

2002 , undertray