do different brands of oil that are rated the same.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 11-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt 2.0 jts

do different brands of oil that are rated the same....

Give you different levels on consumption?

So if you used castrol edge 10w60 and millers 10w60 would one possibly get used quicker than the other?

I know people say if you have high usage at 10w40 try 10w60 etc.

I ask because when mine was serviced they used one brand of 10w60 and it used 1/3 litre for 1,500 miles and I topped up using a different brand of 10w60 and the usage seems higher .

I've always gone by the rating and whether it was fully or part synth.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Well, also on top of your question do different brands of oil make any difference to the wear of your engine?. I booked for my Brera service next month (interim) and was told its going to be $400.00. When I questioned what made up the cost of the service I was told that $200 of the total was for the 'special' oil that was used. I cant remember the name of the oil now but the service desk guy said it was standard oil used by all Afa dealerships and basically makes mobil 1 look like used chip fat oil.

I am still unsure if he's pulling my leg or not or if I should rock up with my own oil and tell them to use that and knock $200.00 of the service cost. Does anyone know what type of oil is reccommended by Alfa?.

I hope this is not classed as a 'thread hijack' I thing its all relevant
Special oil lol....

There is very little difference between one oil and next... Fuchs pro-s and pro-R is one of the better ones (ester based so is attracted to metal) but there is very little between synths.

Personal I'd rock up with the correct sae Fuchs stuff
AO Member
County: Western Cape
here is a topic I wrote about oil on another forum. The fact is that one oil can act different than others due to its flowrates.

So I get a call from a corsa guy, he had a mechanic test his car's oil pressure and it is way lower than expected and the needle is jumping around alot. The mechanic suggested he replaces the oil pump, so they changed it, but then the pressure was the same.

Here is the thing. oil pumps does not create pressure, it moves volume. The pressure starts at the exit points. Your big end and small ends on the crank for instance has a set clearance where the oil gets forced into, the oil then builds up pressure and gets released past the bearings at a specific rate. Should your engine have more wear than it should, the clearances are larger and oil escapes easier causing lower oil pressure. When this happens you can fit 10 oil pumps but you will never get the desired oil pressure.

Oil types
Another thing that can cause lower oil pressure is incorrect oil (not always incorrect but will ellaborate later)
Any engine will run on any oil, but the pressures will differ and the engine will be noisier with certain oils.

The exact reason for this again is that your manufacturer recommends a specific oil with a specific viscocity for you engine. They know what the clearances are in the engine and they will recommend an oil that fits the engine. If you use a lower viscocity oil, then the engine will be noisy and the oil pressure will differ because the oil can pass the clearances of the end points easier.

To elaborate on the above. You might have decided to change your car's oil to full synthetic oil with the exact same viscocity rating as your old school oil, but what you don't know is that the full synthetic has a higher flow rate. Now many guys argue that viscocity and flow rate are the same. I tell you now they are not. Flow rate is the rate that the fluid can flow through a given point in a specific amount of time. Viscocity is how well the particles can hold together under load. If you take 2 flat surfaces, put oil underneath it and apply force to it, it will handle a certain amount of pressure without the 2 surfaces touching as the oil will stay together between the plates without splitting apart.

Now that does not mean that Synthetic oil is a bad thing. It is better than your usual oil period. But in an old engine you'll suddenly experience loader engine noise, oil leaks etc only because the flow rate is better and it manages to pass through the gaps easier than the conventional oil did.

So, if you experience oil pressure loss, have a look at what I mentioned here and it will most certainly assist in solving your problems. so Remember that a oilpump only moves volume, it does not create pressure.
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Except for some internal leakage the oil pump will pump a set volume of oil regardless of the oil type and viscosity.

Depending on the grade, different oil formulations of the same viscosity grade (e.g. 10w60) can result in different levels of consumption but the difference is going to be minor. Topping up with a different brand should not be noticeable.

Preventing wear is only one aspect of an oil and for normal every day driving wear would not be a problem even if using oils of lesser quality that what is recommended. Quality synthetic oils excel, not in wear prevention but service life, cleanliness and stability under extreme cold and hot temperatures.

Wear difference between reputable brands is minimal. Using the correct grade (viscosity) and type (specification) is more important than the brand. It takes something rather wrong before you will do damage.

Selenia is a cash cow for Fiat, it will not do anything better than any other oil formulated to do the same job.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

The special oil comment really is nonsense.
Plenty of oil threads but the one by Oilman details alot of information. Please search for it.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

brera 2.4d

THIS IS PURELY A PERSONAL OPINION, but I have to agree with SteveNZ. Selenia oil is a sweetheart commercial deal with the Fiat group. I'm sure their oil is very good, but I really can't believe that it's substantially better or even different to oil supplied by the world's major oil companies. I'm sure I will be contradicted by many people who swear that using the reccomended oil and changing it more frequently than listed has allowed their car to be trouble free for 10 years etc. I've never experienced major engine problems in ANY of the 30 odd cars I've owned (15 Alfas) and I've never used a special brand of oil. It doesn't prove anything of course but it's just my experienc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brands , oil , rated