After my recent electrical issues I've decided that the only people that should be allowed anywhere near an Alfa's wiring should be properly qualified and also know how to properly build and repair a wiring harness.
I discovered that most of my issues were down to dirt in the two bulkhead connectors and a stripped wire in the loom, stopping the car from turning the starter.
The headlights were also flickering, so now that I've got the car running (sweetly too) I decided to hunt down the cause of the headlight problem.
I started at the back, as the rear fogs were also involved so I started investigating the earths and connectors. First thing I found was this:
It appears to come from the centre brake light into the spoiler brake light, obviously an aftermarket addition. Took two minutes to sort.
I also went back into the engine bay to the bulkhead connectors as I still had my doubts as to the job that a previous owner/garage had carried out (lots of electrical tape!)
I discovered multiple wires that had been insulated with PVC tape rather than repaired correctly and also found this:
Not sure what it is or where it goes but it must have a purpose so I've found the other end and reconnected it.
I've now decided that I'm going to book a week off work and strip out the whole wiring harness and repair it correctly. I used to build wiring harness's for Cummins engines (I actually built the prototype wiring looms for all their Q45 and .20 engines), Caterpillar in Desford and Peterlee, so that prospect doesn't bother me at all as it'll only take a couple of hours with the correct tools to sort it properly.
The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is removing the wiring and fitting it back in, there's not a lot of room...lol