brighter headlights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa gt 3.2V6

brighter headlights

Put phillips vision plus blue bulbs in my GT yesterday.

definately an improvement over the bog standard halogens, but the light doesn't project much further than the old ones. I think the difference is due to the colour temperature of the light and the contrast with the surrondings at night.

The blue is quite subtle, I've not gone boy racer

The blues are +30% brightness which I guess is somehting you can measure in a test but the human eye might read it differently. The +50% might be a better bet, and are advertised as having a bigger "throw" but for 25 it was worth doing, and a lot cheaper than a retro Xenon kit

Bit of a fiddly job, especially on the drivers side, I didn't bother with the blue side lights as they won't make a jot of difference and look like they'd be a pig to get back in
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: brighter headlights

I seem to remember from some lectures at Uni that light is, like sound, one of those things the human brain does not read entirely logically.

I think the example was that two candlepower was twice the brightness of one candlepower, yet the human eye/brain detected it as only 30% brighter. I'm fairly sure the bulb labels would measure it in absolute, not sensory-corrected, terms.

Anyone know with more accuracy? Heaven knows why I recall this - I did a history degree and a few modules in Psychology as we had to do a third of our course in other departments for some odd reason - it was a psychology module where we were taught this. I think the 30% thing is right, might be talking cack though!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brighter , headlights