This is beginning to seriously **** me off now. Its back again
It went for a week when it was exceptionally cold here, fine. All of a sudden its started to gradually come back. Every other day it would come up and now its happening all the time - every journey to work in the morning. There is a change however. I used to turn the engine off and then back on again and it would cure it that was until the next days journey to work. Now its just coming on every time. It stopped the engine 4 times on the way to work and it just kept coming back. What makes matters worse is that the ASR is also kicking in with it.
Needless to say the car is going back to the dealer once more. The positive thing I guess is that as its so consistant the problem SHOULD be easier to diagnose I guess.
What once seemed to be a WEDNESDAY 147 is now becoming more likely a FRIDAY 147.
A few weeks back, I looked at changing the car for something else and its now becomming even more likely that I'll shift her.
I have tried my best to defend Alfa Romeo's to all my friends and family, but its getting to the point where really the truth has to come out - Alfa's are unreliable which is a real shame as they 'feel' well made, but they do not appear to be this way. The story of the poor dealers also appears to be true.
These are the problems I have had in order.
- 1 year after I got the car brand new, it developed a clutch problem and I broke down. Car was off the road for 1 MONTH. 1MONTH yes you heard correct. The dealer could not find the fault for ages. I picked it up once per week and every time I broke down, just a few hundred metres away from the garage. They gave me a courtesy car 1.5 weeks after the car broke down and gave me to compensation.
- Window wipers constantly scraped
- Cruise control disconnected after a service
- ASR system failure message happend from the first winter and has happened ever since, progressivley getting worse.
- A leak in the passenger footwell caused by the aircon extension pipe popping off
- VDC system failure message started to happen this winter. Been into the garage and piad £70 for a contact to be cleaned - which has made no odds
Problem is now consistant very morning
- ASR message now flags up with the above.
This is just the start of my problems. I have not included the shoddy workmanship, including the skuttle plate being put back wrong, oil dangerously being sprayed by their machine all over my windscreen after an oil change (£100
) and over my engine bay (BADLY - took 2 hours to clean up)...need I go on. I think you've got the message! I have tried several dealers too. Autodelta are good, but they are just too far away from me and they do not undertake warrenty work.
I am now starting to look at other manufacturers now as I am fed up with Alfa Romeo, despite the fact I love them if you see what I mean
The ALFA has BOSH electronics which causing some of my problems at the moment and I know that they are fitted to many other manufacturers aswell which also have the same problem. I therefore know that I am not get a much better car elswhere, but all I know is that I want out and to try another manufacturer again. My Ford was faultless in the 5.5 years I had it.
Cars I have been looking at are:
- Volvo S40 and V50 (the baby one) (shoddy quality in the interior though)
- Focus Ghia estate
- Astra estate SRI (with the strong Alfa diesel in it, which it is - the engine in my 147 is great both for perfomance and reliability).
Oh and it will be close to 3 years old so I am getting VERY VERY itchy feet now. If I shift it soon someone will still have some warrenty left.