This alfa 156 to buy or not to .. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 25-11-05 Thread Starter

Member car:

2001 1.8TS 156

This alfa 156 to buy or not to ..

Finally my golf is dying , so my parents agreed I could buy a new car..

I hope you could help me decide if I should buy , or walk away from this car. I have option until saturday evening ( as apperently there are more people that arel ooking to buy it ).

Today I went to the garage ( 30 minute drive ).
It's not a huge garage , but it seems to be run by a rather friendly person.
He was just refitting the collector ( thing thats in between youre exhaust and cylinders ) as he detected a small amounth of exhaust gasses got out of it .. refitted and was perfectly.

First impression..
Pre facelift interior..
Nice red leather interior , only notably worn on the drivers end. Altho only a bit.. I could def live with that interior.. Altho it's a sportpack car it had wat looked like a wood center console... Altho it's not shiny so I assume it was a home job. ( Someone didn't like the carbon fibre either ).

The engine. The 1.8TS wich is the one I can afford atm . The engine looks to be in perfect condition. Only it hasn't been superficially cleaned yet so dust etc was plenty.
The undertray however seemed to be quite heavily scraped ( figures ).
And even a tiny bit of exhaust ( the thing positioned below the engine).
Wich shouldn't lead to any problems.

The bodywork
Some minor scrapes but no real bumps.
No corrosion behind the windscreen either.
Only a verry deep scrape on the rear end of the left side skirt.
and a noteworthy parking one on the back left side as well.
But as I know a bloke who does bodywork I can get all of that fixed for little money.

The suspension.
All seems to be in order here.

The wheels..
16" sportpack ones , a tiny bit scraped ... but nothing out of the ordinary. Front tyres are a bit worn. I would replace them within a month.

The test drive .

The steering was precise , peddal action was light and acurate. So I figured the clutch must be fine as well. Airco seemed to work It's an automatic airco. Altho we had to fiddle around with it a bit untill we had it right. It's not the standard radio. Didn't even bother to check wich one ( if it's good i'll keep it if it's not to bad i'll just buy a decent one).
In conclusion all seemed to be well here. Altho I rushed positioning my seat so I wasn't in the most confortable position at that moment.

The history...
This is where it gets wierd.
The car was confiscaded from it's previous owner as he had some depts he couldn't pay of. (I realy feel for that guy)
So in a dramatic scene the car was taken from him and sold publically.

The problem is that the master key is missing , and so are spares. (I assume if theyre confescating your car youre not gone be verry cooperative). I could track him down but I doupt he'll be willing to help out. This is the main reason I'm doubting to buy the car.
So I phoned to the locall alfa garage ( pretending I was buying it from another bloke and not a garage ). And the guy on the phone went like " Master key.. well I don't know what sort of problems that can cause" .
To be honest i'm quite shocked by that :/. I heard it had allot to do with the alarm system. And If i'm correct you can't make copies of the keys ?

There's a 12 month warrenty on everything except parts like brakes and tyres .. Also regular maintenance ( It had a cambelt change 10 k km ago so np there ) isn't covered by the insurance.

Oh here is a link with picture and price and spec's.

I hope this wasn't a long boring (badly spelled) post and I'm looking forward to youre reply's. (I have first say on the car until tomorow evening (thats saturday 26th nov.).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , buy