156 front drivers side problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 front drivers side problem

Hi again,

I have a late 2002 registered 156 JTS Turismo.

I have been hearing a knocking noise from the front drivers side suspension when the suspension is extended, i.e. when it is going over a dip rather than a bump.

I was told by an approved dealer that it could be the bushes on the ends of the roll bar but when I took it in they couldnt find anything wrong with it and they said the bushes were fine.

This noise seems to have got progressivley worse and more common, it was an intermitant problem before.

Also when I make a fairly sharp turn at a decent speed I often hear a loud knock/bang from the front drivers side near the wheel.

Has anyone had a similar problem, i have some limited experience with cars and it strikes me as a Ball Joint/track rod problem. Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: 156 front drivers side problem

It could well be the anti roll bar drop link - this basically links the anti roll bar to the suspension. When one side of the suspension goes up it twists the anti roll bar.

The drop link has a small ball joint at each end and it is these ball joints that fail. Unfortunately it is not easy to test these with them fitted to the car - the easiest method would be to disconnect one end of the drop link and tie it up out of harms way - then drive the car over a speed bump to see if the noise has gone.

These drop links only cost about 15 each so it is cheap to fix. If you are not going to DIY then it might be cheaper / easier just to replace them anyway.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 22-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks I have just booked it in at Solihull and they pretty much suggested the same thing.

Ill let you know.

Member car:

I suggest that it may be the upper wishbone, I had the same intermittant problem,

I thought it was the antiroll bar bushings and bought new antiroll bar and then had a look at what was involved in changing it....had a rethink after I saw what was involved in changing the anti roll bar!!

Looked closer to find that the upperwish bone link was in bad shape, plenty of movement was obvious when the that side of the car was lifted off the ground
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 23-11-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks mate. Thanks for helping me out with your first post to!!

As I have said its booked in at Solihull and they have said they will check it over. Im gonna put all of the suggestions posted on here to them though!
AO Silver Member

When you rock the steering do you hear it, just on the driver side, esp when cold. I have that, and when turning left and going over a pothole type bump. It went when they replaced the rack under warranty, but came back about a year later, and no more warranty apprently the racks have alot of play on them and it seems after adjusting the tracking on the drivers side, something gots loose inside the rack? Not totally sure, but was once told (geoff at southern alfa's for those who know him) the bolts on the steering rod, at the rack end, get loose, but there is no info on the rack, except remove and replace, on the workshop cd, and its a bugger to get to, so have left alone

FYI, my drop links, and upper and lower wishbones/tcs were replaced - for other reasons - and did not effect this knock.

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , drivers , front , problem , side