0 - 130 km value for 147 1.6 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Re: 0 - 130 km value for 147 1.6

Originally Posted by Trailbraker
Most cars can't hit the limiter in top since they don' have the power to overcome the wind resistance.
The top speed of a car is either wind resisted, or rev determined.
Well I don't know if it's because of their famed low drag, but both my QV and my TSpark have absolutely no problems hitting the limiter in top gear.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

155 1.8 TS 16V

Originally Posted by Alfadublin
A standard 1.6 litre gearbox and its ratios will not allow the car to do a genuine 135+mph(220kph) whether you have just yourself or 4 people in the car. So Im sorrry to say that the speedos on the 147s are giving out false readings. All cars suffer from this.

The only way that you will get near a genuine 130-135mph is if you take out the gear box and alter the gear ratios and the 5th gear ratio too.Also raise the rev limit and increase the fueling aswell to work in conjuction with the longer gears.Then you will get near 135+mph.

Im currently at a genuine 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds and top speed 140mph(timed with timing/measuring gear),but with a modified gearbox/longer gears and the increased fueling/injectors and the 8000 rev limit on the car.Shes maxes out in 5th at 7600rpm.I want a 5 secons 0-60 time and want more top speed now,so I am working on installing a modified 6 speed JTD box at present.

If my car was still standard,theres no way in hell that I would be doing 140,more like 120 max.
I agree with you on the speedo issue. Its not that accurate. The only ways we can accurately tell the speed is by using a GPS device, or with timing gear like you did.

Good luck on your 6 speed box. Interested to see how it goes. My ratios for the 5 speed box is too tall for my engine. It takes forever to get up to speed.

Here's what I've achieved (on the speedo) in each gear till the standard rev cut at 7200rpm. Haven't tried out my new 7800rpm rev cut yet Very tall ratios, always losing out in areas with short straights, unless I hold to a gear like crazy

1st - 60kph
2nd - 109kph
3rd - 160kph
4th - 209kph

AO Silver Member

The major issue I see in this thread is with the quoted speeds. Someone suggested that a 1.6 147 was much quicker than the spec 195kph because people were claiming they had done 220kph. As I see it, the 220kph is a speed reading, lets say 10% overreading, which gives a genuine 198kph, which is 124mph which sounds much more believable than 137mph! So, the official top speed is about the same as what people have achieved
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Originally Posted by ARDTM155
Hehe, I don't think its advisable to take pics yourself at that speed, get your terrified passengers to take them for you
naaaah, their hands will be too shaky, i like clear pics

one more good idea is to ...take pics of their terrified faces

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

130 , 147