Another rear-ender - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

145 1.6 TS

Cry Like A Baby Another rear-ender

Seem to be a few threads on here about other motorists using Alfa's as a braking mechanism

Two days ago, someone ran into the back of my wife's 147 (a 2001 1.6 Lusso). Quite a shunt by the sounds of it, airbag deployed and their car pretty well smashed. My missis hit her head on the steering wheel because of the impact and the car almost ended up almost being pushed into a field. No serious injuries to either driver, thankfully, but she does have a bit of whiplash and a sore head.

Anyway, the damage to the Alfa looks almost superficial, with the bumper being badly scuffed and the reflector strips missing. However, closer inspection shows that the floor of the boot has been deformed and the spare wheel pushed upwards. The car drives OK though.

Is this something to be worried about or is it repairable? If the car is written off it will break our hearts
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Another rear-ender

Sorry to hear about that.

I'm not an expert, but I think the floorpan is part of the chassis, which, if buckled renders it unsafe. It may be able to be beaten back but I'm sure should another (god forbid) shunt occur, that part of the car will be weak.

It's all down to cost at the end of the day...

It may be repairable but needs going on a jig to pull the boot floor back into shape accurately.

It should be ok once repaired. As a rough guide, if the repair cost is more than 2/3 of the vehicle's value it may be written off.

We have our very own insurance expert who will no doubt be along soon....

AO Silver Member

very sorry to hear about that and pleased no one was hurt, your car should be repairable, it's quite common for the boot floor to be pushed up when shunted, it's a common mistake people make after being hit thinking all is well and driving off untill the next time they try to open the boot! i was fortunate recently and the only damage is to my bumper.
As wrinx said general rule is 2/3's value of car, with the age of the car you should be fine. good luck Chris.
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I hope your wife is ok, and you manage to get everything sorted out ok.
AO Member

If you don't mind me asking, how come when your car's airbag was deployed, your wife's head still hit the steering wheel? Is there something wrong with the car's safety system?
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey

Maniax, i think Delta means that the airbag of the other car deployed, not the Alfa Romeo's.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Sorry to hear about the accident Glad no-body was seriously hurt.

Watch out for the whiplash. Make sure you mention it on the forms. If it continues for a few days then I'd recommend seeing a doctor and claiming for the injury. It's insurance and that's what it's there for. The pain can last on and off for months, not to mention random headaches. Obviously I won't/don't condone injury claims for just the sake of it, but if someone is injured they deserve compensation, even if in reality it is only a small amount.

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't
trust coincidences." - Garak, DS9
So true
The BORED Collective
WE are SpartaBORED! I was DarthBORED! I am FearBORED! :elaugh: I was PredatorBORED! I was PhantomBORED!...of the AO-Theatre I have been iBORED! TerminatorBORED! He'll be back!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT