Re: Alfa 159, my first impression
Went to have a look at the 159 at a local dealer for the first time today as there is a 90% chance (well, after today) that this will be my next company car. Agree with several points made already in this thread:
* Needs big rims. Standard 16" which I saw are only just OK (bit like 15" on a 147). Seems I will have to put in some of my own cash for 17". Unfortunately the (gorgeous) 18" are very, very expensive.
* The interior is in a class of its own. I'm sure Audi might still screw their stuff together a little more solidly, but this one just oozes atmosphere, class and quality. The pictures truly do not do it justice. Leather seats look fantastic (as always in an Alfa).
* Rear is very anonymous in the sense that it's not very distinctive - too much like the 156? The front however is something else. Drop-dead gorgeous.
* The thing that surprised me most is how compact the car still is. After reading some reviews I expected that it would have grown significantly. Perhaps it's the design, but it really looks short & squat. I consider this a positive thing. It definitely leaves room for a future 169 (?).
* Prices are another pleasant surprise. I had read in a few places that this car was going to be pitched directly at BMW/Audi but also with a higher price-tag. The corporate Progression version however is just loaded with kit (leather, cruise, 16", multifunction, etc.) at a very reasonable price. In fact even though the car is brand new, it's probably the best equipped one on the list which I can choose from.
Anyway, test drive in 2 weeks should reveal more (unfortunately the dealer had two demo's but already sold both after a week).