getting hot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
getting hot

Hi all, just hoping I can get an answer really, I have got a 156 veloce, the car has been fine but then I noticed that it was getting hotter than it usually does ( temp gague ) instead of the gague sitting between the quarter and half markers it keeps now going up to between the half and 3 quarter markers the fan then cuts in and cools it down until it rises again, I then found that I had a leak on the water bypass, I have put in some k-seal which has stopped the leak but the engine is still getting hot and the light with a diagram of an engine is on but without any difference to performance the car still runs well although I have noticed that when the car is hot and I accelerate I get a rattling sound from underneath the car, help please
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Always helps to say which engine you have!

If it is a Petrol, it was running cold before. It should warm up to 90 and stay there. 1/4 on the gauge is too cold and indicates a failed thermostat.

Going from 1/2 to 3/4 on the gauge could mean the low speed fan isn't working (usually the resistor failed) or that your rad is no longer good enough now the weather has warmed up.

But anything that is leaking needs replacing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT