GT tailgate creak fixed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

GT tailgate creak fixed

Hi All,

I've had a fun afternoon fixing the dreaded tailgate creak on my 55 plate GT 3.2 V6. I was getting a loud creak or clack from above the nearside rear passenger seat when driving on bumpy roads.

With the help of a mechanically minded friend we carried out the Alfa fix for pre 06 cars with weak welds around the crossmember above the rear hatch as detailed here: Alfa Romeo GT Register Website - Problems and Solutions

My car had obviously never had this fix.

We removed the trim from the B and C pillars and various other fixings to allow us to drop the headlining a bit and could then see the the bolts referred to in the fix were not fitted on my car. We then spent a considerable amount of time trying to get nuts in the right position above the correct bolt holes in the crossmember, this proved to be somewhat difficult just using the small access holes in the crossmember, especially as we could not really see what we were doing. Having finally got the bolts loosly in place we had to work out how to grip the nut through the access holes to allow the bolts to be tightened -two spanners bent into the required shape later we were able to tighten the bolts and then refit the rooflining and trim. Took it for a drive and no more creak

The job took around 4 hours and was not something I would want to do again. The instructions on the link above refer to the headlining being glued in place - mine was not - and say it needs to be removed. This would probably have given easier access (as in we may have been able to see what we were doing more easily) but would have involved a lot more work.

The only problem is that we managed to break one of the plastic hook things in the rear headlining (the other was broken already), so I need to order a couple of these.

So I now have a nice quiet car, well apart from the V6 noise of course. Oh and the various other rattles and noises that come and go.......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

creak , fixed , tailgate