2001 156 1.6 TS - gear selector woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
2001 156 1.6 TS - gear selector woes

Hoping some of you learned fellas on here can help with this perplexing snag...?

I recently gave a home to this 2001 156 1.6TS which had a duff gearbox and would have been scrapped. I brought it home and removed the defective gearbox, put in a new clutch and then fitted a known to be good second hand gearbox.

Compared to a GTV, a 156 gearbox out/in is a bit of a pain - but the box is in and pushed on with the fitting up. Hit upon an unexpected snag - after fitting the gear selector cables, I functioned the gear lever through the gears - and there's clearly a problem.

The gear lever doesn't feel right - it is sitting over to the right and resists movement to the left - there is some movement but not what there should be. Also it is only selecting 4 gears - not sure which 4, but as a guess, I'd say its 3 and 4, 5 and reverse.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Any suggestions/ideas/things to try very gratefully received.

Thanks and regards

Andy H
Sponsored Links
First thing I would do is check the cables are free disconnect at the box and make sure they are trapped and they are on the right pegs on the top of the box.
Second whilst they are off see if you can select the gears from the levers at the box.
I think there is a counter balance on one of the levers make sure you haven't caught somthing in between it.
Third have you got any tools missing sounds like a selector stuck or something jamming its full movement.
Did you replace the 2 retaining clips the right side of the cable?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 13-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Thanks for your suggestions gibot. the snag was the selector sleeve assembly where it locates in the gearbox under the rubber gaiter. I'd removed the selector bracket to make life a little easier getting the gearbox back in -and when refitting it later, hadn't located the selector sleeve correctly.

Now that I have, it's selecting all its gears fine.

Thanks again

Andy H

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2001 , gear , selector , woes