need oil but which one - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 29 Old 04-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa romeo GT

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
In anycase I'd opt to use the 10w60 stuff in the JTS as thats what specified.
I would also change oil around 8k to compensate the fact that all 10w60 oils will have lots of additives to allow such a wide viscosity rating.
Viscosity seems to dominate oil discussions when it plays only a minor role IMO.

The additives you are referring to are called viscosity index improvers (VII). They improve the viscosity index or "viscosity range". The SAE grade system can paint a deceptive picture though. Selena Racing 10w60 has infact a lower viscosity index (or lower viscosity range) than a typical 10w40. As a result it is very thick on startup and most likely uses little or no VIIs. A thick synthetic oil with little VII is likely very robust with low volatility, a perfect solution for sustained high temperature use (racing) and also 2 qualities that will help lower oil consumption and reduce inlet deposits. It is however not well suited to a every day commuting vehicle.

When Selenia Racing was recommended for these JTS engines it was really their only option as I see it. A 10w40 with similar properties would work just as well, but they didn't have a suitable one.

Anyway, if you are using Selenia Racing you wont need to worry about changing the oil because it has more additives, Selenia Racing is after all recommended for up to 20,000km. If you are using a different brand 10w60, with maybe a lot of VII it wont be doing the job Fiat intended. It's worthy of note Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w60 and Fuchs 10w60 are are the only other oils I have found that carry a recommendation for the FIAT 9.555.35-H3 application, yet Shell actually recommends Ultra 5w40 for the JTS over that.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Good job Im using the Fuchs then ;-)
Dont rate Selenia. Its Fiats own division of oils so they are bound to recommend it as a brand. But also does not have anywhere near the other ratings of the branded oils on the market.

I'm sure it will work perfectly fine with 10w40. But as this is a forum I'm not recommending an oil stated out the manufactures spec.
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
I use Mobil-1 Extended Life 10w60. Not had any issues so far, doesn't seem to use much probably 0.5l every few thousand miles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT