Eibach Dampers Pt II - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 10-09-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thumbs Up Eibach Dampers Pt II

following my earlier thread: Eibach Dampers Pt I (Eibach Dampers Install: Part 1)

It has been a week now since I had the rear dampers installed. I also installed had the poly bushes for the rear trailing arms. However, something curious happened. I was super happy with the fronts, but something strange happened with the rears. The rear end seems a tad softer, though the damping is great. I think because the fronts are designed to take the weight of the heavier engines of the V6 (inc GTA), they have made the fronts stiffer in comparison to the rears.

At motorway speeds the car feels a little less secure than it did before I had changed the rears. I have had the tracking done so I do wonder whether something got bent as the garage attempted (but falied) to fit the bushes to the tie arms.....maybe the trailing arm polys are putting more pressure on other items or the new dampers are highlighting other areas that require attention. I don't know.

Anyway, just returned from my friday night drive & the car is far, far better. Had a dally with an XKr along the North Circ. & the Bella did everything she needed to do to show she was no push-over plus I read the traffic far better so managed to pass & stay ahead! I did have a slight moment, where the car drifted as I went over a greasy curved flyover too fast (not clever ), but the car signalled everything & stayed very composed.

On the roundabout near my house (normally a full-tilt affair) I undercut a Boxster that was in the wrong lane. As I indicated left into a side road, he decided he was going to roar up behind me. He must not have realised how quickly I was going to stop as he almost rear-ended me . What superb pads those DS Performance are.

Overall I am very pleased with the suspension. The damping is excellent. The car no longer grinds its undertray on bumpy roads - & remains consistent through fast sweeping bends. The ride is far more compliant. Yes there is still some chop to the ride, but that's down to the 156's susp. geometry.

It's not just excellent with regards the 156, it's excellent full stop.

Why couldn't Alfa have spent more time refining this area in the first place? It's not rocket science (computer simulations do most of the work anyway?).

The problem now is that after all the work & how it has released much of the (handling) potential of my car (IMO), i thinking how great it would be to do the same for a GTA........

I really want a GTA now......but I musn't......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dampers , eibach