Rear brakes grinding. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

147 2.0l 3dr

Rear brakes grinding.

What to do.? Had new pads fitted march 12 for not, and they are grinding under braking and turning t junctions etc.

Kwikfitmeup did the free brake check for me (i sent it in to humour the missus and apparently need 2 new tyres within 6,000 miles of having all 4 new changed :sly and told me the discs were "4 and 6mm which is a lot less than the recommended minimum". Obviously or they wouldn't be grinding.

Do I change them all (either at local Indy or by myself if it's not too hard) or would my pads be fine on the new discs..?

On a budget due to saving for a holiday

alfa ownership = dentist visit.
expensive, sometimes painful, but at the end of the you've got a perfect grin on yer face.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
the grinding will be the lip the occurs with wear
disks are easy enough to do, you will need new pads too......and a can of brake cleaner to get the antirust coating of the disk
to do rears you will need a calliper re wind tool too
The question is... Who did the brake pads on March 12th?

If they couldn't give you a "heads up" that the brake discs were on their last legs then it's time to find a garage/ mechanic who will... A brake disc will loose about 1mm of run thickness every 36 month on average usage and even a longer period on the rear so they had no excuse to say "it all of a sudden wore down"

It's common and good practice to inspect both axles for pad and disc wear even if changing pads on the front axle.

front disc is 22mm vented new to 20mm minimum when worn
rear disc is 10mm new to 9mm minimum when worn

So somebody hasn't helped you mate.

At least with these Kwikfit, Halfords and ATS centre's etc. You get a lifetime guarantee and they often supply a free brake pads and discs for life offer as long as they are periodically inspected by them... You don't have to take it back but if you aren't handy, then it's ideal... Just take any future faults with a pinch of salt and coincide your brake check just after an MOT, then you will know if it passes that, then the car suspension, braking and tyres are fundamentally sound..

Use and abuse their system

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brakes , grinding , rear