147 Problems with Filling Up, - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-13 Thread Starter
147 Problems with Filling Up,

Hi All, i've had a problem for a few years with filling up unleaded. At nearly all service stations, i can't get more than about 5 litres in it, without the nozzle clicking off. I did find one that i had no problems with, and so i have stuck with it. But i received some bad fuel, so now i am looking again....

I've tried putting the nozzles in more, out more, twisting in each direction. Even finding service stations that have different angles on the concrete. I've even tried sticking my tongue out, and jumping on my left leg, to get it to work.

Any ideas? (except go back to the service station that works)
I believe there is a fuel vent pipe back to the engine bay, but if this is the issue, why would 1 service station work then?
Sponsored Links
No real answer, but I had a Ford Ka that did the same thing, eventually I developed a technique to fill it slightly faster. Every 4 or 5 litres, let go of the lever on the pump. I think the filler pipe had been squashed or twisted so that the fuel backed up the filler pipe and triggered the little clicker thing. Slowing the full rate or releasing the handle a moment key the filler drain into the tank fully.
AO Member
County: Gauteng
I've got the same problem on a 156. sometimes the fuel even squirts back out the filler and makes a mess... Still searching for a proper solution.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
When I was a teenager I used to run a filling station on a sunday afternoon which was not self service (very old school) and used to hate it when a Jag pulled up because I knew this was going to take an age to fill up because of the way the filler pipes ran, from this experience I quickly learned that some cars were a lot easier to fill than others.
My 164 is terrible for this part of the problem is vapour from the tank I find if you put the nozzle in then push it up slightly rather than down the neck it helps let the vapour out? not perfect but helps. The tank is designed to build a bit of pressure and easiest route of escape is the open filler neck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , filling , problems