1.9JTD GT white-ish smoke in 1st and 2nd gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

1.9 JTD GT

1.9JTD GT white-ish smoke in 1st and 2nd gear

I have been having slight smoke issues for about a month now. When accelerating in 1st and 2nd (more smoke in 1st), I get a small cloud of white smoke. And thats normal driving, never going above 3k rpm. During the day you can barely see it, but at night its really apparent.

Car runs and pulls fine, no error messages, checked the turbo hoses, both intact. There might be a small coolant leak, as ive noticed it diping, but it's really small. So I'm thinking of buying that sealing fluid, because if the head gasket has gone, I doubt I am able to replace it in the near future.

Also, turbo sounds kind of weird when at 2krpm, but then sounds normal after 2,5k. IT sounds like some air or something is escaping somewhere. But after opening the bonnet, removing the cover and looking everywhere, I could not find the leak or cause.

Oh i get a water in diesel filter light go on every now and then. Though filters were changed 2k miles ago.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
if it sounds like some air escaping then it must be.....i assume u checked upper and lower hose, did u also check the one to the airbox?
its either water or unburnt fuel, unburnt fuel can be caused by injectors, timing or like what happened to me putting petrol in with diesel, but that would cause rough running.
if its head gasket then surely you would know as it would be using water
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

1.9 JTD GT

Hoses seem fine, connected. I have yet to disconnect them and test them out.

I had an old fault on the ecu: P1237 Powertrain
but couldnt find whats it about. Means different for different cars, could not find for alfa :/ But it cleared and did not come back.

The smoke is white, and not black. It's black sometimes when the motor is not on operating temperature yet, but it doesnt bother me as it's only one or twice and a small puff of black.

If any of the hoses were split though, would I not feel the loss of power or something similar? Car still pulls very well.

Oh and all my cars before were diesels , so I doubt I will ever put petrol in it Only petrol car I have driven regulary is when my father lends me his S8, and I sure as hell quadruple check what Im puting in that beast

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

19jtd , 1st , 2nd , gear , smoke , whiteish