147 bizarre noises - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-13 Thread Starter
County: Kent
147 bizarre noises

Hi all,

I have a 147 1.6l Lusso which is an 03 plate and has clocked around 38000 miles. I've been the owner for what is coming up to a year, and the car has had no known problems before, and no problems since I've had it. I had the car serviced 2 months ago, and pretty soon after noticed a problem. When I start the engine, the car starts up normally for around 5-10 seconds, and then begins a loud grinding sound under the bonnet. The noise will continue as I put it into gear, and won't stop until I've reached a reasonable speed (8-10mph in 1st gear) before it falls silent. When I change up, the noise comes back, and does this in third gear also until I've reached a high enough speed for each respective gear. After driving for a while, the noise will desist, but come back intermittently when travelling at lower speeds. I have absolutely no idea what this is and not sure how worried I should be!

Is there anyone who knows what the problem might be, and how best to go about correcting the issue?

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Hi, I see that this is your first post, welcome to AO. This sounds as though it could a wheel bearing issue. However, let's see if we can eliminate a few things. It's best to start simple so let's see if the following points help:

1. See if you can nail down an exact location, front left wheel for example, this will help you eliminate other issues
2. See if you can turn the steering from lock to lock and check if the noise worsens (whilst moving that is)
3. Check for any vibrations in the steering at different speeds (associated with alignment and tyre issues)
4. Check the engine oil level
5. Check for debris and/or excessive wear in the braking components (discs, pads etc)
5. Check for a wheel bearing issue

To check for problems with the wheel bearings you need to jack the car up. Please remember that you should never go under the car if it is held up by just the jack. Once the car is raised grab the wheel at the sides (9 and 3 o'clock) and top and bottom to check for play, listen for knocking noises too. If there is excessive movement from side to side this could indicate a bad wheel bearing. Movement caused by shaking the wheel from top to bottom could indicate a suspension issue.

I once had a rattle coming from under my car, I spent three days looking just a bout everywhere. A friend turned up, had a look underneath and tapped the exhaust box, which had come loose. So if possible have a friend help as a second pair of eyes can often help find the problem.

Try these for starters and see how you get on. If you have no joy ask your local garage if they will have a look for you, they may not charge for a 'diagnosis' and give you some advice on what to do next.

Good luck!

147 Sport Q2: Autolusso Remap + Swirl Flap & EGR Delete, Mocal Oil Cooler Kit, JTD Performance FMIC Kit + High Flow Elbow, Wizard Downpipe, PF Pads + 5.1 Fluid, Autolusso Braided Brake Lines, MTech Short-Shifter, Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose, Refurbed Q2's + Some to add later.
AO Member
County: Hampshire
If it's coming from under the bonnet, are you sure it's not a loose heat shield resonating at lower engine revs and causing a rattle?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , bizarre , noises