Check Vehicle History - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Pembrokeshire

Member car:

ALFA 156 2.0 16V

Check Vehicle History

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying a new car (well its used funny enough!)

Just curious as to what others would recommend on checking a vehicles history?

I'm sure there are a few reputable websites and text services?

Sponsored Links
County: Suffolk

Member car:

147 2.0ts lusso

I used mycarcheck which was ok.
I think i paid about 10 for it . The good thing about it was that it gives you a list of well known problems for the car you are looking at which i found very useful .
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

GT 3.2V6 Lusso

Always used the RAC service and a couple of times their mech check service about 120 with full report saved me once from buying a pup dealer face was a right best to use if you are talking big bucks

Good hunting ...what motor has caught your eye
The history checks all use the same databases. HPI is industry leader, but expensive.
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
You can also check the MOT history online for free using the DVLA website. You will need some of the vehicles details though.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

alfa gt 2.0 jts

When I bought mine I did a history check using my text check and then had the AA do a full inspection with report
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Why spend money? Speak with the vendor and is the car has full service history and the cambelt etc and usual items are said to have been covered, ask for the details of the garages where the work was done and call them.

Ask for the vin and mot details to do a mileage check and it will detail advisories too. The garages where the thing's been looked after will be able to tell you anything out of the ordinary. If the vendor won't play ball, I take the standpoint that they're trying to hide something and I walk away. After all, all they're providing is the service history which you would see anyway.

After that, go see the car. take ur laptop - if it takes ur fancy, HPI it once ur there.

alternatively, do the research above and then pay the RAC to check it over for you.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I agree with Back2Alfa, I bought privately so I asked as many questions as I could. Ask to see the service history, find all the relevant numbers such as chassis, engine and VIN numbers and make sure they match the V5C.

If you're buying an Alfa the guys at AlfaWorkshop have some great buyer guides which detail areas to look for (mechanically) depending on the car. If you want the piece of mind I used AutoTrader's HPI service, I think you get 5 checks for 25 or 1 for 20 so it's clear which the better deal is. It's worth checking if you can access the service via the phone app to make life easier for you.

The AA vehicle inspection is a good idea because as ODIN V6 said it can save you buying a pup and a probably a few grand. This link will take you to their pricing list.

Vehicle inspections | For cars, vans and motorhomes | AA

Good luck.

147 Sport Q2: Autolusso Remap + Swirl Flap & EGR Delete, Mocal Oil Cooler Kit, JTD Performance FMIC Kit + High Flow Elbow, Wizard Downpipe, PF Pads + 5.1 Fluid, Autolusso Braided Brake Lines, MTech Short-Shifter, Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose, Refurbed Q2's + Some to add later.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

check , history , vehicle