Selespeed performance? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Selespeed performance?

Hello all, I have now had my 2000 Selespeed about 2 and a half weeks. It is lovely, however I am a little confused by its power output!

It will burble along nicely between idel and 3000ish rpm, then gets another almight poke of power! It isn't heditating low down and is still plenty quick, but it goes from 3000rpm to redline like a banshee!

Is this normal?

It has an aftermarket exhaust, not named but very well built, all custom pipes (Powerflow?) by the look of it, am wondering if the car has been chipped, because it is substantially quicker than a 2001 2.0 I also drove while test driving!

Any thoughts?

PS Just did 400 miles on a full tank of fuel (90.9, £47 so 35.16 to the gallon), so economy is good too!
Sponsored Links
Re: Selespeed performance?

It's called driving an Alfa!! Most Alfa engines (petrol ones at least) are designed/tuned to be revvy little buggers and they generally start to take off at 4000rpm or so. If you let the revs get to about 6000rpm, when you change up you will find that you are still above 4000rpm and the whole thing (in a gradually diminishing way) will happen until you hit 5th gear. This leads to the production of a large smile on the face of the driver. It is a very different experience from driving a Ford. Enjoy!!

Possibly it has been chipped, but this is the character of Alfas and a large part of the reason that people become addicted. The fact that you experience good petrol consumption too probably means that it hasn't been chipped to be honest.

Be Jaysus, you're driving with a grin on your face and your pocket is happy too? What more do you want man?!!
AO Member

Andymac - See my posting under 'superchip 156'. The surge is normal with the 155bhp Phase 2 engine, but is rather less noticeable with the 150bhp Phase 3, which was introduced in the autumn of year 2000.

That is true actually, my old 155 used to have a bit more of a surge than my 156 does. I'd say overall speed no different though. The 155 used to audibly sort of 'whoosh' when it took off. But the 156 growls more so what the heck!
AO Gold Member

The Selespeed can be remapped for the fly by wire throttle response very effectively... it looks as if your Sele has had this remap, it gives a far quicker throttle response but makes the driveability a bit yerky, but that's an Alfa Romeo !!! not your average supermarket trolley....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

performance , selespeed