Exhaust sound level - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Exhaust sound level

I guess this topic has been discussed many times but thought I can get some "sound" advise in here

I am currently toying with the idea of replacing my stock rear exhaust box with a supersprint (twin pipe) back box. Knowing that the power gain from such a mod is at most marginal, the main draw factor is having a nicer and louder "Alfa roar". Questions are:

1) How much louder is the sound level comparing a stock rear box exhaust to the supersprint rearbox? (Sound from both inside and outside of car)

2) How much louder if I also remove the center exhaust box and replace it with a supersprint straight through pipe? I mean comparing just a rear exhaust box change to having both center and rear box change?

I want it loud but not "rice boy" loud but more importantly to bring out the Alfa rasp. So which is a better option? Just a rear box change or both center and rear box change together? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Exhaust sound level

I have tiwn pipe supersprint (dte) and its very good. I much prefer the look and the sound to any other back-box I have seen so far.

Its not too loud at all but does give a very nice growl and rasp when driving, but its in no way excessive or boy-racer drainpipe noisy.

I have a V6 so have no centre box, although I do also have the supersprint centre section. Its a bit disappointing really as it is poor quality steel and rots through every 18 months. It gives a distinct louder note in the car at about 2.5- 3K revs but thats about it.

As they come in two parts, why not just try the back-box first and see what you think.

Incidentally, I have had the back-box for 3 years and its is absoutely solid, no rust at all. I have had a supersprint back-box on the 155 for 5 years with no rust so it seems that quility is no problem there
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire

I've got the set-up you describe wiyh the sraight through centre section and was similarly worried about the naff "XR3i with a drainpipe" sound, but its great and I get many possitive comments about it. Mines also got a BMC cone filter which has made it quite loud but like I say it sounds nice - deep at low revs with the Twin Spark rasp coming in as it comes on cam I have also had the problem with the quality of the centre section - my first lasting less than 13 months, my seconds been on 10 and isn't looking great Want to de-cat it now though

The alfa 75 I had, had a supersprint 4" pipe on the back. At first I thought it was a bit boy racer like, but it was a really nice exhaust. It wasn't too loud but had a really nice sound. So nice that once I left in 2nd and floored up a hill... past a copper going the other way. Woops!
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 26-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all the prompt replies. Really appreciate your feedback. Seems like the center pipe rusting is a common issue. Also from Chris posting, removal of the center box does not really add so much to the overal sound level? If that is the case, it will be more cost effective for me to just do the rear box change. Think I will just do that. Really excited to hear the difference after the mod Over here, it will cost me about 330quid to change to a supersprint DTM style rearbox (including installation).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

exhaust , level , sound