Random question - to garage or not to bother for a car used daily? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 24-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Random question - to garage or not to bother for a car used daily?

I have the use of a garage for my 156 GTA SW, if I want to use it. It is not much hassle for me - just uses up a little space and means I can't use my punchbag. The garage is also heated and quite well sealed - it is built into the house and shares 2 walls and the roofspace with it.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any benefit at all to using it from an ongoing car condition/reliability perspective, now that winter is approaching. I'm thinking that as the 156 is a modern car it ought to be fine living outdoors. Either way, the car will be driven for 2 hours most weekdays in all weathers, and will sit at work (outsisde) most weekdays as well. So I doubt it is worth bothering - especially as a freeze is a rare thing locally as I'm quite near the south coast so defrosting doesn't come into it. Any thoughts? You do hear of water ingress on some alfas but I imagine that occurs when driving. Then again, being parked up overnight in a heated garage does mean the car has a chance to dry out...
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Re: Random question - to garage or not to bother for a car used daily?

paint work isn't that great on Fiat/Alfas, they skimp on the laquer, its very soft, I'd use it, it also has the added benefit that no skanky chav is going to nick/vandelise it at night out of jealousy coming back from a pub or something.

I used to have a garage and used it daily, at the moment I don't have one and I have had to get paint on my car twice, only because of kids playing but annoying all the same, if my car was in a garage it wouldn't have happened.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5V6 SP3

must admit, I've hardly used my garage over the summer - saves having to get it out again in the morning.
In the winter I tend to use the garage cos it saves having to de-ice it before going to work.
For insurance purposes, the car is kept garaged.

In response to your question, I doubt if it being indoors overnight and then outdoors on the salty roads all day makes any difference to the condition of the car.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire

Mines lived outside for the last 5 years (its 8 now) with no adverse affects, though its washed and waxed religously That said if I had a garage I would use it - unless I had a GTA. If I had a GTA I'd never stop driving it!
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham

You might as well stick it in the garage if you have one.
AO Silver Member

I guess it depends on what colour your car is, and whether you're worried about vandalism / theft / accidental damage. I know some colours are prone to fade more than others (but then keeping it in a garage doesn't reduce the sun exposure that much if you're using it in the daytime). I have worried about the dilemma of getting the car in and out of the garage securely; in the morning, do you shut the engine down when you get out to shut the garage door, and so eventually cause engine wear by repeatedly starting an engine from cold; or do you leave it running, and risk some scumbag working out your routine and jumping in? Finally, putting a car in a heated, sealed garage means you'll need to dehumidify the garage, otherwise you'll bring moisture in when the car is wet, and it'll end up getting damp throughout, not just the places where it's protected - upholstery, electrics, etc. Given the choice, I'd probably use a carport instead to keep the rain and sun off, but keeping it ventilated.
AO Member

My 5 year old (red) 156 has never lived in a garage, has never been through a car wash, but gets done by hand (using Carplan Triplewax in the water) whenever it's looking grubby.

Scubs up like new. Brilliant paintwork - a credit to Alfa IMO!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bother , car , daily , garage , question , random