First car: Alfa Romeo 147 a good choice? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
I was asked this same question about three years ago when my Nephew was looking for his first car... He wanted an Alfa 147 1.6 TS... He had been driving company vans two years previously so was starting to get "some" experience on the road.

I will give you exactly the same advice I gave him.

No... Do not buy an Alfa Romeo as your first car, You will end up fixing it more than you drive it and it will put you off the brand for life.

It's not that they are not reliable it is that they need constant input from the owner unlike other marques in order to keep them well maintained...
Without that prior knowledge of what a car feels like when something isn't quite right when driving it, an inexperienced driver can miss minor issues that can end up causing more and more damage to connecting parts and then it becomes a far more serious issue and expensive to repair.

Start off with something old and very simple to work on first, gain that "seat of your pant's" feel for a car first and then after a couple of years of doing your own work on the car and you can tell the difference between a missfire and a blown exhaust etc... Then you will be confident to own an Alfa...

You don't see people gaining pilot's licences and then getting straight into a an F15 Eagle do you?
Same principal..
Don't be silly

If you are desperate to own an Alfa... Buy a Brand New MiTo, at least its an Alfa and very reliable until you get confident enough and you don't have the worry of maintaining it for a couple of years.

Last edited by Grahameo; 28-05-13 at 13:01.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Carmarthenshire
Now other question i have, the 2.0 version with Selespeed have some problems. Can they get fixed?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I've had most versions of the 147 now and the selespeed was the worst in my opinion. It doesn't give you as much control of the car and took the fun out of it for me, they are also notorious for the selespeed system going pop which can be very expensive. The 1.9 JTD m-jet would be my 147 of choice - fast and effortless to drive with great MPG. The petrol ones gave me less mechanical issues than the diesel though, but are not as quick. You get a lot of car for your money, and this forum will prove invaluable if you do get an Alfa and find yourself in need of help. Good luck!
Really, a 147 as a first car.

I would honestly go with Grahams advice and get some experience first with a much cheaper car.

It is a very nice thing to want such a car, but you really need to have a bit of savvy in the event something does go wrong.

If garages in Portugal are anything like they can be here in the UK then a €30 issue can be a €150 charge.

Get something cheap and a bit older than you can work on yourself for a few years and then get your hands on a really nice 147.

I know the 1.6 is not exactly a monster of power but still aim for something older and that you can work on. You will earn the rewards later.

Great to see that you have set your sights on the brand but hold off for the time being.

I hope we can guide you in the right direction.

I have a 156 1.9 M-jet and it is quick. I chose Diesel for the mileage I do but even around town and through villages the fuel consumption is brilliant. I have not owned mine long enough to have had any problems and fingers crossed I dont have anything major go wrong. Either way the drive is sensational an certainly worth waiting for till you have had enough time in more "mechanical".

Best of luck

AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Even silly things like visability and turning circle (like a boat) are not exactly user friendly and take some guess work.
There not cheap to maintain and run. Thats the bottom line.

Cambelts every 3 years (250)
Oil up to a litre every 1000 miles (10)
Spark plugs (60)
Suspension that needs looking after (150)
Thermostats (40)
Clutch (400 although its robust)
MAF (100)
Mpg 30 ish

In the first year of ownership my 1.6 has cost me quite a bit (Nothing like a new car but if I was inexperienced It would have hit the scrapheap)
Even removing the fact its blew a bottom end bearing (@112K)

It still cost me 450 in service items - An I work on the car myself so thats just parts (Exc tyres)

This year its going to need the suspension overhaul this is on a 147 with 114k miles on.
There just not cheap cars to maintain.

There very rewarding cars but there's always something that needs a little tweak here and there to get it perfect. Frankly if you just want to get in and drive I dont think I could recommend one.

If you have mechanial nouse. Played with mechano as a child and generally have an interest for how things work I would. Now I'm not saying there bad unreliable cars. There not, there brilliant. But they do need your attention.

An I owned plenty of dodgy fiats before. Which again are known as the "F"ix "I"t "A"gain "T"ommorrow cars. Even they didnt need as much attention.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Member
County: -
My first car is Alfa 147 JTD

I learn a lot of things about cars, especially Alfa but mostly thanks to you guys. If i need to buy a car now i feel much more self confident and informed what to look for and watch for.

In my 20 months of ownership i did invest a lot in the car, new front tires, shock absorbers, upper wishbones and ARB bushes, battery, cranshaft pully, 2nd key all in all around 800 euros (including labor). Lucky for me previous owner changed cambelts, pads, handbrake cables and some other minor stuff.
Did i find it reliable? A big YES, not even single time failed to start even on -15 C or getting some alfa-goblins.
Would i buy it again if i can turn back the time? Maybe not as a first car, but definitely some time in future. Maybe I could go safe and buy some Honda or VW and save a little on consumables, but that wont bring the thing when you remember some day "Hey, I owned an Alfa Romeo"

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , car , choice , good , romeo