my 1st alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 23-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 t.s.

Wave my 1st alfa

Hello to you all

ive just bought, an alfa for the first time ever, a 156 1.8 turismo. its a 52reg car with 55,000, f/s/h, as far as im aware, the cambelt has not been changed, and its next service is due at 60,000, i love the look of the car, both inside and out, but unimpresed with its performance. The car runs fine, smoth n quiet. but could have done with more power, my last car a modeo 2.0l tdci, 130 , would leave this alfa for dead, however, can anyone sugest, what i should be looking out for, problems wise, the alfas in real top condition at the moment, and still has 2 months warranty left, so some little peace of mind, but should i be thinking about a cambelt change soon?

i cant explain, you will not understand, but this is how i am

comfortably numb

ps dont eat yellow snow!
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Durham
Re: my 1st alfa

Get the cambelt, tensioners and variator changed ASAP.

I'm not a great lover of diesels, but maybe you should have gone for the 2.4 20V diesel 156 if you are missing your Mundano? All the advantages of an Alfa and more poke and less mundaneness than a Ford?

But I think you will grow to love your 156!

Definitely go for a full 60K service now though (inc. cambelt change). Have the variator and tensioners done too. Then for subsequent services, do them 1000 miles late until you are 'back on par'.
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire

The 1.8TS petroll engine will be very different from your old Ford turbo diesel. As Sillyspeed said, if you want a fairer comparison, you should look a JTD.

The diesel will have more torque lower down, but the TS will rev to kingdom come and will sound great doing it.

Also, like the others have said - definitely go for a cambelt change asap. These really should be changed every 3yrs/36k miles - it's just not worth the risk of not doing it.

Anyway, welcome to AO

(it might be nice to introduce yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" lounge, but arm yourself with some pics of your car )
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

Well Happy Re: my 1st alfa

Hi Steve,

Welcome to AO, I'm pretty new to the Forum to just bought a 2002 156 2.4 JTD and she dose go well pulls really strongly, Iíve not had another 156 before so I can't make the comparison however my last car was a 285bhp SAAB which was rather brisk!

Comparing the performance then isn't the same but it defiantly would not give up without a fight! I've had a few plays with the odd Mondeo and so far itís not let me down in any respect!
AO Member

As said get the timing belts changed asap - don't hang around. Also get the variator changed and get them to check the water pump too.

Your wishbones may need changed also as well as the suspension bushes.

Finally and most importantly check your oil every week and never let it drop below max for too long. This is the single most important thing you can do.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 24-08-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 t.s.

Crazed Re: my 1st alfa

Hi again, and thanks for all your replys, very new to this forum too, i beg forgivness, for my newness, my alfa still has 2months waranty left, sould i wait till it ends, to change my belts, or is this not covered, also as this is my 1st alfa, ive previously only admired them from afar, is this 1.8 turismo model, a revamped "s or "ts the car has no turbo fitted??
i promise to learn about my alfa knowledge v/soon

regards steve
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Steve-r: can#t make sense of that last post, but are you asking if the 1.8 is a TS or JTS engine? TSpark .. JTS was only available as a 2 litre. (I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that ... it's been a hard day at the office and it's only 2:15 )

And no there isn't a turbo tucked away somewhere to surprise you when you are least expecting it .. normally aspirated I'm afraid. There are companies that will put a turbo on ... for a price. But then you are in Alfadublin's territory ... and that's something else ....

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Member car:

156 2.0L TS

TS ='s Twin Spark

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

1st , alfa