glow plugs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-05-13 Thread Starter
County: Greater London

Member car:

glow plugs

hi peeps, my alfa gtd 1.9 shows glow plug error when i start from cold,have changed plugs but error still shows please help.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

would guess fuse or relay. If you havent got multimeter to test leads and plugs might be worth taking them all out lay safely on engine and see if any glow. If none do check fuses, if there all ok,would just change relay only about 10-15 quid, if that doesn't cure it it'll need more investigation into the wiring.

If its one plug not working say, swap with one you know is working so you can find if its a dodgy plug or the wiring to a certain one and go from there.
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
So many threads about this its untrue.Google it for answers. I service around 20 or so 159 or gt diesels probably around a third show glow plug error.The culprit may seem to be the relay on the bulkhead these are about £90 but this may not solve the problem.Ive had a 159 albeit a 2.4 jtd where everything was checked and changed and the ecu was even reflashed by Alfa and the error light still flashed.The fix may be simple or you may resign yourself to a flashing light or error message upon startup.
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: West Dunbartonshire
Think I got lucky , changed all 4 plugs still got error , done ecu reset all ok and its never came back ....about eight months ago ...
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1210
County: Cheshire
Originally Posted by nick cutten View Post
hi peeps, my alfa gtd 1.9 shows glow plug error when i start from cold,have changed plugs but error still shows please help.
Don't worry too much! I have had the glowplug error message for a couple of years, and even in that really super cold winter, it started straight away! Modern common-rail diesels are nothing like the bad starters that old diesels were, believe me, I used to drive old FX4 London cabs, and even two batteries and a healthy squirt of Easy-start was no guarantee it would start. Apart from the irritating message at start up, I haven't noticed a lack of glowplug at all. It might get to be a priority if you come to sell, but for day to day ownership......

Rockin' & Rollin' since 1967![/SIGPIC]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

glow , plugs