Replacing Selespeed Solenoids - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Replacing Selespeed Solenoids

I have a 2002 156 Selespeed and the Solenoids for changing gears seem to have died... this is at least what the diagnostic computer says when the garage plugs in to diagnose the problem. I called Alfa and they said that just the Solenoids would cost about 1000 not including any labour, so my question is... is it possible to buy Solenoids for any less than that price, as it seems a bit steep...

I'm also wondering if worn out Solenoids can cause any other problems to happen? As I don't want to fix one (expensive) thing just to find out that it's already done other damage that will also need fixing.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Replacing Selespeed Solenoids

Not really sure what you mean. The selespeed gearchange is performed by a hydraulic actuator thats connected to the gear box. There may be solenoids in the actuator but to replace the whoe actuator would amount to around that much.

Okay, if the solenoids are in the Actuator then I guess that is what it needs... Is there such a thing as an after market Actuator or are they available second hand? Or is it not worth looking for a second hand one because they all break? Thanks.
AO Platinum Member

A new Selespeed actuator is around 1000. (there is no such thing as an 'after market' actuator).
Personally I would not get a s/h one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

replacing , selespeed , solenoids