My 156 selespeed from y2000 decided to get stuck in neutral with this horrid sound when trying to engage 1st gear:http://www.espmusic.se/alfa/Alfa_156...aging_gear.m4a
Leaving the car to cool down gets it back to normal ...for a while. Reverse always works fine!
So far I have done this:
In the MultiECUscan software:
1. "Clutch Pressure Plate Travel" ~27.4 - .27.8 with engine off and ~13.7 with Engine on
2. Accumulator just replaced, so should be ok. Now it's 54 max, then slowly dropping to ~49-50 after 3 min.
3. calibrated clutch (F7- MultiECUScan)
4. bleeding clutch (F7- MultiECUScan)
5. final calibration (F7- MultiECUScan), which says "completed" after just one second! So it doesn't seem like it is performing any calibration, but no failure code, just says "completed -press Y to continue". I tried this with the engine running and without. Not sure which is correct.. ?
6. testing solenoids (I hope I got the valve numbers right, please correct me if I'm wrong):
-Low Gear Valve (EV3) -clicks 3 times, OK most of the time, but failed to execute on occasion
-High Gear Valve (EV4) -clicks 3 times, OK most of the time, but failed to execute on occasion
-Even (EV2) OK! clicks once
-Odd (EV1) OK! clicks once
-Clutch (EV0) OK most of the time, but failed to execute on occasion
Worth noting; the computer I'm running is below spec for MultiECUscan (1GHz PIII) and it complains about latency too high sometimes. In graphs I can clearly see how data drops out. Perhaps this can explain why a solenoid valve is working fine and then suddenly I get a "failed to execute"... ? I read somewhere that solenoids normally "either work or don't work"...
After doing all this I disconnect and start the car and I can engage gear 1 & 2 but no further (I was not driving) but I notice a buzzing transformer like sound when the valve is engaged. They engage slower than usual and they are also blinking on the display! Reverse is the only one that seems to behave perfectly reliably (always had trouble with skipping 3rd gear).
So I take the car for a spin, gears 1 & 2 keep blinking on the display and 3rd gear engages as expected, no blinking but jumps into N and I'm stuck with that horrid sound again... no choice but to reverse all the way back home...
Blinking might indicate a sensor issue, hoping this is the case... but has anybody had any experience with this sound before??