noisey 156 engine also blowing out blue smoke :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-05-13 Thread Starter
County: Derbyshire
noisey 156 engine also blowing out blue smoke :(

my alfa 156 has started making a terrible rattling and blowing blue smoke, havent done a compression test yet but the smell of oil burning tells me its probably rings.

in the last 3 months the car has only ever been started up and run to temp once a week and in the previous year it only ever did short journey's save a few trips to the coast, the previous owner didnt really keep a proper check on oil level as far as i know (it was the father-in-laws) so i suppose its no great surprise as its on 112k miles

ive decided that getting another lump (picked up a 75k engine already) and freshening it up is the best way to go about it money wise and so i have a reliable car for the next few years. I'll be changing the timing belt, tensioners, waterpump, balancer belt and tensioner for definite but after reading about things id be stupid not to change the variator i think ? also gonna whip the head off and examine what i can before swapping the engines over

is their anything else i should be checking over or measuring ? also going to clean the carb out and possibly send a set of injectors off to be sonic cleaned depending on cash
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
If you are going to leave your car for long periods then just trickle charge the battery - running the car for short periods does more harm than good.

I wouldn't bother taking the head off such a low mileage engine unless there is something that indicates you might need to (such as mayo in the sump). I wouldn't worry about the injectors either again unless you can say there is a problem with them.

I'd certainly think about swapping the clutch though as its a pig of a job when the engine is in the car.

I'd just do the belts, variator and water pump and the leave the rest.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 16-05-13 Thread Starter
yeah it killed a battery, put a new one on then the problems started on the morning of the MOT lol

suppose clutch makes more sense than making myself extra work with the head etc and should leave some cash in the kitty for any bushes
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Indeed as rockhopper stated best while the engines out to change the clutch. As its a pig of a job and expensive to pay someone to do it. The clutch will be around 150 new.

Belts and tensioners budget another 150 and then whatever the engine on top costs.
Oil's, Filters and fluids including gearbox oil should set you back another 70.

But after all that you should be good so long as the donor engine is alright.

If you have the budget and time then changing the big end shells would be worth doing but its not essential. I never did but for piece of mind its worth doing. Again its cost and time.

The best bit about having another engine is the fact you can have many spares and sell parts that you don't need.

I recently did the exact job you are about to undertake. I brought the engine same mileage as yours for 220 and I've recently sold the cylinder head / Alternator / Aircon for the grand sum of 120. Which is slowly recouping the cost of the new engine.

If you do the work yourself it can save you a packet on labour.

Good luck though. If you need any help just ask on the forum. more than just a few people have done a similar job.

Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 17-05-13 Thread Starter
thanks for the input scotty, ive learnt alot just reading threads on here about this engiine and people doing the same work as i have planned already - its one reason ive decided to keep the car and repair it rather than buy the bmw 3series touring i went to look at lol

ill be doing all the work myself, ive bought a 2nd (well technically third) car so i can take my time with this and get it all done right (and i can justifty buying an engine crane to the missus lol)

rather than sell the other stuff ill clean it all up, wrap it up and keep it as spares i think. I'll probably pull the old lump apart aswell just for curiosity sake althougth the missus has told me i cant blow it up while in situ haha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , blowing , blue , engine , noisey , smoke