How much to have new windscreen fitted ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 14-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Fife

Member car:

147 Selespeed

How much to have new windscreen fitted ?

Hi all, does anyone know how much it is to have a replacement windscreen fitted to my 2002 Alfa 147
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Principe
Have you checked your insurance? It may be covered...
If its not covered your probably looking at about £250 up depends worth ringing around
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

You are better off getting it changed outside insurance and get an original or decent quality one.

Insurance companies tend to use Autoglass and National windscreens and the quality is appalling imo. They are about 2/3 the thickness of the original screens and chip and crack at the first hit of road grit or salt.

Many count it as a claim although it doesn't effect for NCB. Swiftcover and Elephant I have been told will not give you the years NCB if you have a new screen.

Check out independents, they can often source better screens, be cheaper than the big boys and have a reputation to protect so are not fitted by monkeys. My Fiat Sedici I bought from brand new had a screen after 18 months via insurance. It lasted about 13 months by that time looked like it had been in an Al Capone shootout. The trim never fitted properly again, the dash rattled and you could see it had not been put in square. It basically made an 18 month old car feel like a 6 year old car thanks to National windscreens. Of course they said it met their standards.

The windscreen business is just another big insurance con imo. I will never get the insurance to arrange windscreen replacement again.

Last edited by Alfa luke; 14-05-13 at 23:07.
AO Member
County: South Ayrshire
Well Happy Autoglass Screen

I had a new windscreen fitted 4 weeks ago as the chip in the windscreen was pretty big - too big for a repair apparently!

I choose the insurance route and it only cost me £75 - and comes with a lifetime guarantee - and no ill effects to my insurance (Aviva)

If my screen gets as bad as yours Luke, then it'll be replaced again.

best thing I done - lovely clear screen
AO Member
County: New South Wales
i just had mine replaced through insurance. if i wanted their generic brand windscreen it would cost me nothing. but i chose to have the original alfa romeo glass fitted so it cost me all up $50 au on top. so see if it is an option on your policy.
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
Indepndent all the way.

Just ring yr local Merc, Alfa, Range Rover dealer - ask which local boy they use and give them a buzz. They use them because he is good. Price wise will be competative too.

Sometime indis will also do insurance claims as well.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
My 156 cost me £110 inc VAT from a local independant. A friend of mine with a 147 has just had really major problems with Autoglass.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fitted , windscreen