Twinspark spark plug problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Hmmm Twinspark spark plug problem

Hi guys,

I was doing a spark plug change on my 156 2.0 Twinspark today. When I pulled the coils, the cylinder on the drivers right (cylinder 1?) looked very different. The rubber seals were discoloured, there was some gunk in the holes, and one of the coils had a big crack in it, see the photos.

The car has been running fine, so it seems a little strange. Can anyone shed some light on what's been going on here? And recommend what to do from here? I'm holding off changing the plugs for time being at least.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark plugs 1.jpg (192.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg spark plugs 2.jpg (96.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg spark plugs 3.jpg (195.4 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Norfolk
It looks like oil down the plug hole! Any drips or spills when topping up have a lovely natural part from the filler cap to the plug hole. Carefully clean as much as you can with the plug in-situ and when you remove it be vary careful not to drop any crap down the plug hole. You really should replace the coil pack but if it's running OK you could try repairing the split with a two part epoxy resin like Araldite. To prevent it happening again, use a funnel for topping up
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Yep you should replace the coilpack. You can get the full set of 4 cheap enough second hand from places like autolusso. Order a new rocker cover gasket and replace that. That should stop the leak. Also look up the torque for the rocker cover bolts. Sorry I can't remember it off hand but it's not very tight and of you over tighten it it will just leak again and probably worse. This is really quite critical with ts rocker cover.
Clean it off and remove the coil from the rail, swap it to number one so no further damage from oil occurs, clean the plug well with brake, clutch cleaner and lots if kitchen towel to absorb it. Remove and replace the plugs, refit it all back together and forget about it until the coil finally does give up, it could last 100,000 mile more so like that

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

plug , plugs , problem , spark , twinspark