Tensioner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you guys can be some guidance. I recently got me a 156 with the 2,5V6 engine. Now when I bought it, the dealer and I had an arrangement the cambelt change should be done or no deal, as the service was due within one or two thousand k's of delivery...

So they did it with he invoice to prove and all the old parts, but I noticed on the invoice, no tensioner is included. So I went to them to query it and the say due to a heck of a backlog apparently, they couldn't get anywhere. But the did check it thouroughly and replaced the bolts holding it in place, saying it's fine and should last till the next cambelt change. Now I know the original change was scheduled for every 100 000kms, but was reduced to 60 000kms. Will I hear the unmistakable whining sound of the tensioner should it's time be around the corner or does it just let go without warning? The first cahnge was done at 74 000 kms though, 14 000 later than due, so do you think it's a calculated risk or should it be done nonetheless. Everyting else was changed though, waterpump, belt and idlers.

Many thanks,
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
The twin spark is 60,000km for the cambelt, v6 is more robust and ok for 100,000km if you're brave, though you may wish to do earlier if of a nervous disposition. I left our V6 till 105,000km and 9 years at which point the belt was on the verge of failing.

Of course the garage should have done the tensioner regardless and really you should get them to go back in and replace it.
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
I bought my first V6 156 6 years ago, with a cam belt change done not long before, but I found out it was just the belt!!! After four weeks of ownership, the tension seized and the belt slipped. Result?! 17 bent valves to say the least!!! Cost? Near the 2000 mark! Take it back!!!!
AO Member
County: New South Wales
U paid for it to be done by purchasing the car. Take it back and demand it changed. It should last doesn't wash. These motors are very technical and it doesn't take much to stuff me up. Get a bit slack on the maintenance side of things and that's when you end up in trouble.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT