JTS Cam belt and Variator change, Ideas pls - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
JTS Cam belt and Variator change, Ideas pls

Hi folks,

I need to get a cam belt and variator change on my 156 2L JTS.

I'm not shy of the cam belt change at all as I've been (as a hobby) tinkering with italian cars since the age of 13. I've done plenty of cambelt changes on the Fiat 5 pot engines which are a ***** to work on. (I know they have a variator but I never had one rattle)

But now I've bought something that I have more passion for, I'm reluctant to do the work myself, but I know that If i do it myself, It'll be done correctly. The thing that puts me off is the variator! What tools do I need to do this service correctly and set everything correctly?

Like I said, I love the car and I don't want to bring it to a premature end by rushing into the job without any research!

Many Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
By the time you've bought the correct cam-locks TDC-gauge and full belt kit, including tensioner and pulley you'll have spent about as much as a belt change! (okay maybe a little less).

Autolusso did mine a few weeks back for 300. Money well spent in my opinion. It's worth it for peace of mind, excellent service and attention to detail..
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 27-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Cheers Tommy,

I've been quoted 350 inc parts and labour, +Vat. I just wondered as its such a short service interval on the cam belt, if its worth me investing in the tools and doing it myself. Like you said its peace of mind. Plus I'm pretty sure my variator is shot.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

It's worth it if you plan on doing them early or more frequently. Since I brought cam locks for both 1.6 and 2.0 cars plus a dti guage around 50 I've done 4 cambelt changes on mine and friends cars.

But the point that companies like auto lusso use if that you are buying the garantee on the belt change.

If you doing more than one it's worth it. If not better to pay.

I'm always messing with my cars so like having the tools. You can always sell them afterwards.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

belt , cam , change , ideas , jts , pls , variator