How to fix your airbag light.. - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 15Likes

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
First time I had the light come on on my 156 1.8 TS it was solved by disconnecting the connector in the boot, cleaning and reconnecting. Second time, no joy, though it showed as same fault code (passenger rear curtain)... left it like that until a week before the MOT and thought I better sort it properly.

Duff ACU. Swapped with one from my previous 156, happily the same part number, and hey presto, light went out immediately. Interestingly the previous 156 was a wagon and this one a saloon but the ACU was the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
It's common for a fault confirmed by diagnostics to be the passenger curtain airbag in the boot actually to be the connector on the driver's side and vice-versa. I use a 150 x 2.4 mm cable tie to secure the connectors, they are narrow enough to fit between the wires.
AO Member

County: Dorset
I have a 99 1.8 156 and have looked under the passenger seat an nothing- no cables or connectors. Am I missing something? I haven't removed the trim in the boot as requires Alan keys and my hands are cold.

Do the early models have a different set up?
MLC
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 JTD

Just wanted to say thanks - airbag light came on after sliding forward passenger seat, would never have twigged it was related without this thread, easily sorted.
AO Member

County: Flintshire
Airbag light on my 2003 147 refused to allow the fault codes to be cleared, found the yellow connector near the OSR light cluster and used two cable ties to hold it tightly in place, now I have been able to clear the fault and it hasn't come back.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Just a note to say thanks for the tips, airbag light came on last night in the 04 156 1.9 JTDM, ecuscan said passenger airbag, pulled the boot apart and found the connectors, cleaned, rejoined, secured with a tie and the same for the passenger seat connector. Problem sorted just like you said, and I even remembered the radio code! If only the Spider misfire was as easy to cure but I have a new MAF on order! Thanks again!
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Airbag light woes..

After being hooked by the alfa bug, i bought another 156 this time a 1999 1.8TS with hailstone damage, but only 53k. got it home and all seems good, but airbag light. have used alfadiag and free version on multiecuscan and show these errors:

Have already checked connectors cleaned with cleaner and done ones in boot too. alsohave tried to clean them, but to no avail.

then just now noticed what multiecuscan quoted as ECU programming date: 22/02/2053 [ oh **** have i bought a delorean, i want my 200 quid back!!]!

ACU is 60658009, have also noted some 'services' to clean crash data... worth it or not?

have done a fair bit of amateur programming, so might be fun for a last resort.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

P.s. previous owner had let battery die, so bump-start more than likely cause, also tried to start with key without transponder, which showed other errors.
Attached Images
File Type: png alfa22.PNG (28.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png z.PNG (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png zzz.PNG (36.3 KB, 6 views)

Pie is a natural number for mathamatics, and a natural food for mechanics!
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
New flux capacitor needed.
lkomnino likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
New flux capacitor needed.
Like it, however as it would be Delorean, would not know what dealership to go to, as used cheap off the shelf parts from any manufacturer going!! I know it seems obvious but want to check as finding difficult to find replacement airbag ecu 60658009. According to ePer Airbag ecu module part number 60658009, was supperceeded by 60665492. Does that mean if i get a 60665492, i can just fit, clear codes and all is good?
Any advice greatly appreciated, even funny ones!
Also anyone have experience with crash data clearing services? ( when data cleared from airbag ecu).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbag.JPG (66.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by lkomnino; 10-10-16 at 14:10.
AO Member

County: -
I haven't personal experience of airbag data clearing but offer a couple of comments.

If it didn't actually work there would be informed comment to say as much - not gossip/hearsay/unreliable anecdotes. I've also examined a couple of tripped modules and there is no physical change, so I cannot see why they would not work again if connected to un-fired pyrotechnics - quite probably even while displaying a fault light.

As a parallel example, if you have an ABS module with stored faults, it will usually still try to operate the ABS (upon demand) while in a faulty state. Easy to try by unplugging a wheel sensor and performing a panic stop with swerving included.
lkomnino likes this.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Just received second hand replacement, newer version (60665492), from brother in Italy. Plugged in reconnect battery and went to clear codes. Of which there were about 5 or 6! And fails to clear them. Used multi ecu scan, and alfaobd. No joy. Have been charging battery in mean time.
Have heard could also be sign of faulty battery, so that is next. Damn awkward clip for airbag ecu separated from lever clip thing. So used cable ties to ensure connection. Any ideas welcome...

Sent from My Xperia Z3+ via TapTalk

------edit------
Have 2003 156 JTS and has passenger seat cable. on 1999 1.8TS nada!
Boot of '99 has 2 connectors, have cleaned and used wd-40's specific 'electrical contact cleaner', (servisol equiv.)
Should i spray ACU (airbag ecu) connectors, worry about build up of flammable liquid in box.....boooom!!
could always do the dodgy thing: remove airbag light bulb!!

Last edited by lkomnino; 10-10-16 at 15:05.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Unhappy

update:

put original ACU back in, along with nice new battery. only had one fault showing: N1 Control Unit internal error ( from dead battery, bump start or crash data? no idea).

Replacement ACU had 5, as can be seen:
Note 'intermittent after impact'

Think i've bought a dud. But need to check before going through attempted reimbursement procedure...

Checked that 'tamperproof' rivet still in bottom, but MES canny clear these 'fault descriptions' as they are no exact codes present.

---edit---

this was the google translate conversation:
me: According to EPER this part number is a substitute for 60658009. VET: ZAR93200000071335 Will this be just a matter of install and clear codes? Thank you

him: Hello, thank you very much for contacting me, you, in fact, the airbag control unit with code 60665492 replaces the previous discontinued the 60658009, we must do absolutely nothing after installation will be immediately recognized, the important thing that his ***** 156 1.8 petrol has an airbag on the passenger side dashboard, thanks,
greetings Rosario.

Yes it has a passenger airbag. Great, thanks for the quick response.

Hello Leandros, I heartily thank you for giving me the preferred purchase unit in question, but to be fair we anticipate that for sure you will have to clear the error, this happens: because for removal given that these are perfectly marching car, often probably on this occasion, is turned on again the instrument cluster x test various electrical parts inside the car, you know that if this function is carried out with the air bag removed, immediately marks the red light error, to delete elettrauto from any computer with diagnosis of generic ones, if you think it's a problem and would like to forgo the purchase you'll make the money back immediately, await you, whatever your decision will thank you too, Rosario greetings.

I understand that once installed, I need to delete the errors (I will use alfaobd). I just wanted to check that 'the crash data' that can not be cleaned, will not be in ECU. Thanks again for all your advice, and hope to do more business with you in the future. Cheers

Then I will, tomorrow I can send, Rosario greetings
Attached Images
File Type: png Original ACU Codes.PNG (25.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Replacement ACU Codes.PNG (36.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.JPG (147.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.JPG (144.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by lkomnino; 10-10-16 at 17:02. Reason: addition
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Ok, may have got my wires crossed:
Have cleaned all available connectors ( passenger seat and airbag, Driver airbag, airbag ecu and 3 connectors next to it, connector pre- passenger airbag, both boot corner plugs) still getting that same singular error. Alfaobd doesn't clear them. Engine ecu is 1.5.5 for 1999 1.8TS 156. Airbag is allied 2f-2p-i-s.
Immobiliser errors cannot be cleared as need codecard, have for my jts, not this! Might be related, not sure. With multiecuscan it doesn't show categories for central locking or immobiliser, tried using my bluetooth obd2 with Torque app on Android phone but couldn't connect.
Please help.
Thanks in advance. Leo
P.s. Alexei from AlfaOBD said I should be able to clear codes as 'intermitent'.
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Only errors I have now are about 4 or 5 for the immobiliser and one for the airbag. Getting code card so I can clear immobiliser errors, tomorrow. Just shy of fifty quid from TJ VICKERS, Shrewsbury. Hoping they may be linked, anyway nice to service and clear codes. Every time I try to clear airbag errors it just goes: 'clearing errors... ' and nothing. Have tried disconnect and remove key. Wait a minute. Recheck. Still there. Using vag kkl cable and gendan adapters with registered alfaobd and unregistered multiecuscan. Please advise as car will fail MOT and hence be donor rather than being restored otherwise.

AO Member

Garage

Member car:

156 JTS 2003

Right.. Update.
Got code card from Alfa Dealer, just shy of 50 quid. With that i have cleared immobiliser errors no problem.
Still getting same error for airbag. doesn't clear it.
Even changes alarm region back to Netherlands, as was first bought in Mastricht!! (rhd dutchy original!!) but just difference when locked car was lack of bleep and set alarm off! Changed back to UK and bleeps and back to normal.
Back to work tomorrow, so will try the Italian Airbag ECU again and try to clear codes again, but not hopefull.
Contacted someone about removing crash data, 45 quid.
Sound about right???
Obviously would want to use italian replacement as is 'new improved' version.
Also noticed that variator needs doing, got a repair kit....
But when warmed up the tappets seem very noisy still. any advice...
Cheers, seems i have been talking to myself recently... thank god i still have the 156 JTS to bomb around in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
airbag , fix , light