2001, 156 Selespeed Idle issue. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-04-13 Thread Starter
County: Waikato
Hmmm 2001, 156 Selespeed Idle issue.

Hi everybody. This is my first post here so bear with me as I try to explain the issue my car has.

I have been driving this beautiful Alfa Romeo 156 just for over a year now. My forst Alfa and I love it! A couple of months ago i had engine failure with coolant leaking into places coolant should never go! Luckily the warranty covered the vast majority of the expensive repair

Since I have had him back though, there has been a issue with the idle speed. When i first turn the car on it starts first time but the revs fluctuate for the first few seconds before resting at about 1200 revs. It never revs below 1000 revs and after I have been driving for a while and it warms up it doesn't like reeving below 2000 revs and sometimes it even goes up to 2500 revs... all this without me applying any pressure to the accelerator peddle

When I am slowing down and it travels down the gears, the revs shoot up in-between shifting gears. I mean, when going from 3rd to 2nd.... the revs shoot up and the same for between 2nd and first gear. Also, when I'm slowing down to stop, the car doesn't seem to want to disengage and i feel myself fighting with the car to stop it because despite my foot not being on the accelerator, it still wants to go.

I have read a few articles about similar issues and have done a few things before writing here. I have cleaned my MAF which looked very clean anyway and it didn't make any difference. I have also done the idle reset thing where I let the car idle for a while. 90 seconds here, 90 seconds there. That didn't make any difference either.

If anybody has a magic wand that can fix these issues please share it with me! I will be eternally grateful. I like to help out the mechanic in diagnosing because I hate it when I get a crappy Japanese curtsey car!

Also, if I haven't said something I should say in order for a diagnosis, please ask and I will give more information.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Have you checked the valve in the crankcase breather that connects after the throttle-body?
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 22-04-13 Thread Starter
County: Waikato
No I haven't.... can you put a picture on here of that part of the engine? Would that be something that a non mechanic would be able to fix?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2001 , alfa 156 , idle , issue , selespeed