147 JTDM stalls in 1st gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -Armagh
147 JTDM stalls in 1st gear

Decided to take the car to the petrol station to give the wheels some air, top of the hill of my estate I sat in neutral and took off in 1st, felt a little bit wobbly, but it was ok.

Bottom of the road, stopped at traffic lights, took off in 1st and it felt really really bad, like it was struggling. Fortunely, the petrol station is right beside the lights so I just pulled in, did my business with the air compressor and tried starting it up which was a struggle. The car isnt' an instant starter, its a 2006 after all, but I've never had anything like it, just sounded like it was struggling to turn, but got it going.

Reversed back a bit, into 1st, come off the clutch and dead. repeated this a few times with no change. Tried starting in 2nd and giving it some, but it just kept dying as you come off the clutch in 1st gear.

I reversed it out of the way and gave my uncle a shout. 15 minutes later he came in and started it up and drove away as if nothing was wrong.

So, any ideas guys?

Made some minor checks. Brake fluid etc, no problems there that I can see. Tried driving back and forth on the driveway (didn't have time to take it for a stretch yet). Its kind of hard to describe how the car feels. It's like once you release off the clutch it jumps into full speed, whereas before you could ease up on the clutch and take off slowly. Feels more aggressive somehow, but it didn't conk out.

I'm trying to get some repair history from the dealer, after some reading here I was thinking Slave cylinder, but I could be wrong.

I get the impression that the plate is slamming into the flywheel instead of easing in, which suggests that either the plate isn't fully out (which would be Master?) or the Slave is slipping somehow.

(As an aside, My Uncle thinks I was trying to start in 2nd gear and I'm imagining the problems)

Last edited by Sagacious; 22-04-13 at 09:56.
Sponsored Links
Off the top of my head and the difficulty in diagnosis via descriptions on forums...
Your DMF is probably shagged due to aggressive take off. It had its final straw... They only take so much hammer.
Your Uncle is probably a more forgiving driver with a clutch and therefore it seemed ok with him using it... Pulling away in second will just kill it and your clutch eventually mate.

Or you have broken a finger on the clutch.

Or your Maf or lambda sensors are playing up Fault codes need to be checked thus stalling.

There should also be no reason why a diesel vehicle should be difficult to start despite being any age or mileage, it's purely down to maintenance of things like starter motor, glow plugs and fuel filter etc.

I look after a 1.9 jtd 156 with 256,000 miles on the clock that fires up on the first crank (about one second of turning the key)

So... Lots wrong and far too many items to blame based on your description at the moment.

Last edited by Grahameo; 22-04-13 at 10:45.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
I'm actually pretty cautious with it. I always move off slowly, let the car warm up properly before pushing it. Typically I'll not break 2k RPM until it is warmed up and no cheap diesel, only BP.

I'm not exactly the type to hammer it down country roads either, so it hasn't been abused, at least not by me.

If theres anything else I can check to help diag this lemme know. Waiting to hear back from the indie dealer I got it from about what was replaced and when. IIRC the clutch was done last year.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

I talked to a couple of friends about the symptoms, clutch problems being one, the other that I only discovered last Friday was when I did get moving, the car wouldn't seem to accelerate properly, like it was bunged up or constipated or something. My friend had the same problem on his Megane, mechanic said he had a renault in a few days before me with the same problem. Seems it was just the EGR valve.

Got the EGR replaced today and so far it seems fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 1st , gear , jtdm , stalls